VMware Communities
vmnvigor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion cannot create prefs or open config file??

I've burned so many hours on this. Not super technical, but patient and follow directions. New Macbook Pro which ran Fusion and apps perfectly yesterday. No more. I've triple checked all folder permissions, reinstalled Fusion, re-entered licensing info just for kicks, and no go. I do have a zip of support info if that would help, but here's the two error messages that precede the final Internal Error end of the line. I'll be seeing that in my sleep tonight. Any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is the Virtual Machine Package and its contents is owned by root not MacGingerPro (you).

In a Terminal type the following command followed by a space and the drag and drop the Virtual Machine Package onto the Terminal window.  This will populate the fully qualified pathname on the command line.

sudo chown -R MacGingerPro

Click the Terminal windows to set focus to it and press Enter, then type in your password and press Enter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vmnvigor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Woody. Here's the file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The problem is the Virtual Machine Package and its contents is owned by root not MacGingerPro (you).

In a Terminal type the following command followed by a space and the drag and drop the Virtual Machine Package onto the Terminal window.  This will populate the fully qualified pathname on the command line.

sudo chown -R MacGingerPro

Click the Terminal windows to set focus to it and press Enter, then type in your password and press Enter.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW... I'd also suggest using First Aid in Disk Utility and run Verify Disk Permissions and Repair Disk Permissions.

0 Kudos
vmnvigor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Woody,

I can't thank you enough for helping me with this. I've got the terminal window open and have one question before I begin. (embarrassing) Is the Virtual Machine Package the VMware Fusion app itself in the Applications folder?  I'll repeat the disk utility run when completed. I did do that a couple of times since yesterday.  Again, my deepest thanks.

Non-tech Ginger

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, the Virtual Machine Package is "/Users/MacGingerPro/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm" and note that the .localized and .vmwarevm extensions are hidden by default.

If you already used First Aid in Disk Utility you don't need to do it again however the owner on the Virtual Machine Package and it contents is root and should be MacGingerPro.

0 Kudos
vmnvigor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You did it! Thanks again.

0 Kudos