VMware Communities
DigiAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion and kernel 2.6.24.2

So I'm trying to compile kernel 2.6.24.2 with Fusion using an IDE virtual device. I've installed Slackware 12 and it loads fine, but after compiling 2.6.24.2 I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown-block(3,1)

It sees the hda drive, but I'm not sure what else to check. Anyone got a good 2.6.24.2 kerrnel? Thanks!

James

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rkarlsba
Contributor
Contributor

I have 2.6.24.3 up and running. That error of yours is probably that linux can't find its root device. Most likely you haven't compiled it into kernel and just as a module...

0 Kudos
DigiAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Nope...I didn't compile any modules at all. Care to post your config file for 2.6.24.3?

0 Kudos
rkarlsba
Contributor
Contributor

This one works well for me. No initrd needed. SCSI drivers and ext3 support is statically linked in. If you're using IDE emulation or something else than ext3, make sure you link those in statically or create an initrd. Please note that vmware tools does not compile with 2.6.24.x

oh - and please note that this is taken from the debian defaults and not stripped down - just changed some drivers from module to static. this means it'll take some time to compile it since these distro kernels generally include virtually everything, so even if you really don't need the radio amateur drivers, you'll still get them - just in case

roy

Message was edited by: rkarlsba

0 Kudos
rkarlsba
Contributor
Contributor

See http://karlsbakk.net/kernels/vmware_fusion/ for a kernel config that's more stripped down and a little tuned up. See the readme file for details. Hope this works well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DigiAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Wonderful! Thank you so much...this really helps me out Smiley Happy

James

0 Kudos
DigiAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Hrmmm....so I loaded the 2.6.24.3 kernel config with kernel tree 2.6.24.3 and here's what I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or unknown-block(3,1)

I have just a standard IDE virtual drive. Weird!

0 Kudos
rkarlsba
Contributor
Contributor

The original config only supported boot from SCSI. I just added a new one with IDE

roy

0 Kudos