VMware Communities
GRose
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion and VMware Worksta VMs binary compatible?

Hi,

I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not, if I create a VM in Fusion, can I run it unmodifed in VMware Workstation on a PC? What I'd be looking for is the virtual hardware to stay exactly the same. Thanks,

Gordon

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What I'd be looking for is the virtual hardware to stay exactly the same.

Possible - but not documented as far as I know.

I guess a possible use-case is moving Windows VMs from platform to platform without triggering a re-activation.

I think to be on the safe side you should add this 3 lines to the vmx-file - before you move it.

uuid.action = "keep"

memAllowAutoScaleDown = "false"

tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

You can still make mistakes - for example allowing a vmware-tools update - but as far as I know those 3 lines should prevent all automatic changes.

Do not move suspended VMs between platforms.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Assuming the same version of tools, then yes, with a caution. Moving a VM to an i7 processor from a core2duo causes a hardware change visible to WIndows 7.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I move XP Virtual Machines between Fusion 3.1.1 and VMware Player 3.1.2 (on a Windows XP host) all the time. At least for XP this does not cause any problems with Activation in my case (both hosts have Core 2 Duo Intel Processors).

Not sure what happens when a host with an i5 or i7 processor, or a later version of Windows on the guest is thrown into this mix.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I take VMs between a Core 2 Duo Mac with Fusion and a Core 2 Quad Win7 desktop with Workstation and I'm not bothered by activation noticies.

0 Kudos