VMware Communities
bartop
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion and Catalina Failure

I wasted a lot of time today on something that VMWare could have made very simple.

We have VMWare 10.1.6. Everything worked fine in Mojave and then I upgraded my machine to Catalina. It no longer renders in the single window but only shows a black screen. If I switch to Unity mode, I get a bunch of white, empty windows without even the standard controls (close, minimize, etc.).

I think this is another big letdown in my experience with VMWare. It seems that this version is out-of-date and wasn't even tested on Mojave (let alone Catalina). I understand that you can't provide support forever but VMWare could at least build in a warning or notification. I don't purchase or manage these licenses and it's not obvious to me what's supported and what's not. If I had known this version was already unsupported in the previous OS edition, I wouldn't have wasted my time.

I looked it up and Fusion 10.1.6 was released 28 Mar 2019. I'm not asking about a product that they stopped updating 5-10 years ago. 10.0 itself was released just under two years ago.

After upgrading to Catalina, users are presented with:

• A black screen with no errors and no warnings
  • No security/compatibility problems reported from the OS or VMWare
  • No error/warning that it can't render or is denied access to "Screen Recording"
  • No ability to add/remove the app from "Screen Recording"

Since permissions seems to be at the heart of this, I don't see why I get no information or warnings. The "Screen Recording" window has no add/remove buttons. There is nothing to help me understand what the issue is or why I can't add/remove things.

I've read the posts about a script that will inject something into a database, so that VMWare will appear in "Screen Recording" and allow me to give it access. So, it seems like a relatively simple issue to fix.

I think VMWare could do a better job alerting customers and helping them understand when their version will be obsolete. This is particularly important, since there is no support and no testing for outdated versions. If it were me, I would spend the relatively small amount of time to test the previous, major Fusion version on the next OS major version. As a customer, I would appreciate being told that it won't work, even if the only answer is to purchase an upgrade. That would make me more likely to upgrade. I don't mind purchasing an upgrade but I think it's pretty poor of VMWare to ignore customers like this.

As it stands, it feels like VMWare doesn't care about customers using a product that was still being updated this year.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PennyB2
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded to v11.5 try to solve this problem - which, until I read your post, I thought was a fault with my installation of VMware Fusion 10.1.6. I upgraded yesterday and, at the end of the installation, all icons and windows were minimised so that they were unreadable and it was impossible to click on OK to log off and complete the upgrade. Now back to black window and no Windows. Cost of upgrade wasted.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 10 was supported on Sierra.  It wasn't even supported on High Sierra (that was Fusion 11).

Due to the changes Apple makes every year, at this point users should expect annual upgrades.  Sometimes, like this year, those are free, and others, it's paid.

And agreed, they could build in a warning that the version is unsupported and may not function properly into a release, that would automatically trigger when Apple releases the next OS version. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I upgraded yesterday and, at the end of the installation, all icons and windows were minimised so that they were unreadable and it was impossible to click on OK to log off and complete the upgrade.

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying and what happened to your installation.

Did you try an upgrade perhaps?

With Fusion 11.5 it is best to uninstall the older version of VMware Fusion (drag it to the trash) before installing the full version.

You can download VMware Fusion 11.5.1 from here:

Download VMware Fusion 11.5.1

FWIW, if you want to go back to 10.1.6, the download for that is here:

Download VMware Fusion 10.1.6

Please note that if you ran your VM under VMware Fusion 11.5 one if the first things it will do is upgrade the virtual hardware of your VM.

So if you want to downgrade again then you have to downgrade that virtual hardware before uninstalling Fusion 11.5.

Alternatively make backups of your VMs (always a good idea)... please don't use Time Machine for that as it isn't reliable for that type of backup.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos