VMware Communities
electriczipper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion, XP and a firewall?

Hello, I was wondering if it is advisable and possible to install a fire wall on a win xp VM? I was wanting to install zone alarm the free version, but I didn't want to screw anything up. I'm new and very much a believer when it comes to security for windows.

Thank you!

EZ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's possible, and if you ever connect the VM to the internet, I would say it's advisable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's possible, and if you ever connect the VM to the internet, I would say it's advisable.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes and this is encouraged by Microsoft in their 1-2-3 steps to protect your Windows system.

1. Enable Automatic Updates

2. Enable the Windows Firewall or a capable third-party firewall product.

3. Run an Anti-Virus program with self-updating definitions.

(I would expand this to anti-phishing, anti-rootkit, anti-spyware, but NOT two of any one type of these)

marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EZ, I'm like you, new to iMac, new to Fusion.

I have installed Norton on the VM through downloading from the Norton site once I had the VM going. There are strong opinions about Norton (pro and con) but I have used it for years (on the old Windows machine) and it never caused me any problems, it seems to be working just fine (it works fine on the VM right now too). My windows firewall is also still switched on and it seems not to interfere with Norton or slow anything down.

Still researching firewalls for the iMac which is probably the next logical thought you will have too. For now I have to set the OS X firewall to 'allow all incoming connections' to allow printer sharing between XP and OS X. My assumption is that OS X is a little more vulnerable to viruses etc in this configuration. Have received some good info through this forum but still have not completed figured this out.

M.

electriczipper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for the help, and it's much appreciated!

It should be quite interesting here.

EZ

0 Kudos
Xcanadian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running ZoneAlarm Security Suite under Fusion 1.1 It's working quite well.

0 Kudos
electriczipper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, It is most definitely good to hear!

EZ

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For now I have to set the OS X firewall to 'allow all incoming connections' to allow printer sharing between XP and OS X.

I am an ignoramus in this area, so please straighten me out if I am wrong, but can't you share your printer with the Firewall on and only Printer Sharing checked?

David

0 Kudos
marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It has not worked for me in that setup. XP can not find the printer if

I set the firewall settings in OS X to anything else but 'allow all

incoming connections'.

Open for suggestions though..... I'm new to iMac and Fusion.....

Marcel.

0 Kudos
marcelairmail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your post made me test this again.... before the printer could not be found in XP if the firewall was set to 'allow all incoming connections'. I now changed it to 'set access for specific services and applications' and under the advanced options 'stealth mode' is checked.

Switched to XP and... all works fine. Printer is found, all is well.

Not sure what has changed since last time I tried and struggled with this so I can not share any great learnings.... Smiley Sad

Glad it works though.

M.

0 Kudos