VMware Communities
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Version 2 and a disk read error has occurred

Hi,

New to the Mac world. Have been running Fusion for about a month. Worked great till today. The Mac side froze up and I did the unplug route as I could not find any way to get it working. When I entered Fusion, I got the black screen with "a disk read error has occurred". I have rebooted the iMac and when looking at Fusion, I have been locked out or, as I now am, suspended. As such, about 80% of the menu items are not accessible. I looked at the instructions for undoing this problem but they are for version 1 and there appears to have been some reconfiguring of the pull down menus as it was not working for me. I did notice that at start up on the iMac, the icon for the VM disk is not there. But all of the menu items are there. Can anyone help me out on this? Thank. And have a great day! (Love my iMac and Fusion combination!)

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did notice that at start up on the iMac, the icon for the VM disk is not there. But all of the menu items are there.

Not exactly sure what you're saying... are you saying that when you open Fusion the Virtual Machine Library window is blank as in the picture below?

0 Kudos
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding. No, I get a black screen with:

A disk read error occurred

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.

When I do that, it starts to reboot the windows screen, giving me the screen that allows you to press f2 to ............. But then it stops that and goes back to the black screen I mentioned above. If I happen to press or run the mouse thru the black box, the system freezes. Only way I have found to reboot that is to unplug the whole iMac while it is turned on. If I turn if off and then back on, it reverts back to the same black screen.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, so once you click into the Virtual Machine’s display are you say you cannot press Control-Command to ungrab and have control back on the Host or the Host is locking up dead and you have no choice to then pull the plug again?

0 Kudos
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

Once the display comes up and I get the message, I can float back and forth for awhile, allowing me to hit the menu items, but nothing happens. Then eventually, it seems to lock up if I try to do anything. When it locks up the host is locked also.

The current black screen tells me that VMware tools is not installed. Choose the Virtual Machine and install VMware Tools menu. I did that. And it either takes a long time, or I need to insert a disk (it has not asked for one) or its hanging up again.

Thanks again....

Thinking I need to reinstall. I have Quicken installed and cannot seem to find the program. Now, I am a new Mac convert so don't know exactly where to look but can find the backup files. Just don't see the program file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With the Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended you can ctrl-click the Virtual Machine entry in the Virtual Machine Library window and select Show in Finder and then close Fusion and then ctrl-click the Virtual Machine Package and select Open With and select VMDKMounter and see if it will mount the Virtual Machine's Virtual Hard Disk Drive. This places an icon on your Mac's Desktop and will probably be a white icon named untitled. If this mounts then you would be looking at the folder structure of the Windows XP and should be able to find your User Data to copy it it over to your Documents on the Mac. Give that a try and let us know how far you get.

0 Kudos
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody, OK, I got there and got "cannot open the virtual disk". Does not sound good?? As far as the quicken files, I can see the data files but not sure about the program files.

0 Kudos
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

HI Woody,

I tried it again and it did appear. As you said white and untitled. When I opened it, it appears empty. I moved it into finder and tried that to and appears empty. I did find the data files on the Mac side so assume it was using a shared data folder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your comments so far....

0 Kudos
Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Now when I open Fusion, it says it it locked. When I try to take ownership, it says it is being used by an application on my host machine. Would think its still there?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You need to eject the mounted disk on the Desktop before you can run the VM again.

Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

So I assume right clicking on the icon and then removing it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Ctrl-click and select, Eject "Untitled"

Gerry55337
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, deleted it. I found you had given someone else advice on how to unlock xp. Did that and now am back at the "a disk read error occurrd, press control alt del to restart

0 Kudos