VMware Communities
millekj
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion V11.0 Pro Upgrade Cost

One year ago, I upgraded to Fusion 10 Pro and now I have to pay $119 (academic eligible) to upgrade again?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
millekj
Contributor
Contributor

Correction.  I see it is $79, however, that is still a lot to pay 1 year after upgrading to Version 10.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I agree - I'm disappointed in the upgrade cost for the pro version, it's not much of a discount.  But it is what it is, and support and security fixes are something I need, so I paid it.

0 Kudos
ltvo
Contributor
Contributor

Agree, I have just upgraded to Fusion 10 Pro at the end of April (~5 months) so I can't justify to spent $120 for Fusion 11 Pro.  I am going to give Parallels Desktop 14 a shot and see hoe it goes.

0 Kudos
JimOQuinn
Contributor
Contributor

If you move to Parallels thinking you'll save money, that ain't gonna happen.

• If you bought Parallels 13 in April the upgrade to Parallels 14 would not be free, you'd have to pay.
  • You have Fusion Pro, so if you want Parallels Pro you have to buy the annual subscription which is $100 per/year/per license.  Your vmware Pro 10 is a perpetual license that you can run for years without annual subscription fees.
  • All Parallels licenses only allow for 1 installation per Mac.  Have 3 Macs?  Need to buy 3 copies of Parallels.  Not with vmware,

All sounds too familiar:

Another option is to migrate over to VirtualBox (Oracle VM VirtualBox) ​which isn't too bad, just really slow.  If you try it, please come back to this thread and report your findings.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe I'm missing something here,  but I can't see there's been any material upgrade apart from changing the number from 10 to 11.

The release notes don't show anything compelling or new.

So save yourself some money and don't bother?

0 Kudos