VMware Communities
funkmyer
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion + Ubuntu + Apache2 = Painfully Slow

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has run into this problem. I am running a mac mini (intel core duo) with Vmware Fusion. I have a single Ubuntu installation running virtually with 30GB hd space and 864 MB RAM. The host system (OS X) has nothing running to allow maxium resources to be used by Fusion. We have a standard LAMP stack setup and all is working fine except for one thing -- the page load time when hitting this webserver is horrible.

It takes a good 10-20 seconds to load any page (heavy or light) on our dev site. System resources are fine (via "top") memory isn't swapping, CPU hovers around 18-20%. One notable thing I saw while watching iptraf is 81 different port connections (see screenshot) and on each port 52 KB worth of packet data -- that seems really strange to me and may figure into the slowness of the page load time. Also, the OS X software firewall has no effect whether off or on.

Fusion is running in bridged mode and I have run multiple linespeed tests and all is working fine on the OS X level. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Mike D

0 Kudos
2 Replies
neptune2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running VWware Fusion 1.1 + Ubuntu 7.01 + Apache on a 17in MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 duo) with 4GB RAM and 186GB hard disk.

It screams!

funkmyer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response - how do you have the networking setup, are you in bridged or NAT mode? I think my problem is on the network level between Fusion and the parent OS X. Anything you would recommend I try?

Thanks!

0 Kudos