VMware Communities
mauroj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion + Solaris: can't sleep MBP

Using my MacBook Pro in closed mode (external keyboard, mouse and monitor), the machine will not

sleep. This only happens when using an external monitor and the MBP is closed. The screen goes

blank, but the MBP never drops into sleep. Worse, I can't get it back without opening the MBP

and doing a hard power-cycle.

What's interesting with this problem is that VMware/Solaris does not need to be running - if VMware

was started and Solaris booted in a virtual machine, and subsequently shutdown and quit

VMware, it still happens. I have had multiple occurences of this - it happens every time and

can be reproduced reliably.

This is a show stopper. I frequently use an external monitor with the MBP closed.

Note also I'm using the exact same Solaris bits in a Parallels virtual machine - sleep/wakeup

works just fine.

Thanks,

/jim

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think this problem is unique to virtualization. I have the same problem with certain USB devices that don't unload their drivers gracefully. Most notably I have this problem sometimes depending how I shutdown or disconnect my mobile phone from my MacBook Pro.

The trick is look at the loaded kernel modules and try to determine who the culprit might be. The troubling part is not only can you get into a state where your MacBook doesn't sleep but also where it won't shutdown completely.

0 Kudos
mauroj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm sure you are correct. I have not experienced this problem prior to installing Fusion.

And yes, there is no graceful way to deal with this. Only opening the MacBook Pro and holding the

power key down for 10 seconds or so to insure a shutdown works. And then power-up.

As I said, this is a show stopper for me. I can't use Fusion if I can't even put my MBP to sleep.

Thanks,

/jim

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Is this 100% reproducible when you run a Solaris guest? What about other guests? I don't have this problem with Fusion so I'm trying to narrow down what might be different about our configurations.

0 Kudos
mauroj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello - Yes, this is 100% reproducible. Happens every time. As you can imagine, I'm not anxious

to reproduce it to frequently, since getting out of it requires a hard power-cycles.

But yes, once I spotted the problem as a sleep problem (as opposed to wakeup), I quit all my

Mac OS X apps and tried this 4 consecutive times, and every time I had the problem.

With the monitor disconnected, and using the MacBook Pro as a typical laptop (using the

integrated keyboard and display, externa Bluetooth mouse), sleep/wakeup works, so it

somethine about the presence of the external monitor (1920 x 1200 Sun 24" LCD) on

the DVI port that seems to induce the problem.

I will load Ubuntu in a virtual machine on this system and see if I have the same problem,

and let you know the result.

Thanks,

/jim

0 Kudos
mauroj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just installed Ubuntu in a Fusion VM, played around a bit, etc.

Sleep worked fine.

So the problem appears to be unique to Solaris. I can not reproduce it with Ubuntu,

but it happens every time with Solaris.

Thanks,

/jim

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please file a bug. It seems serious enough to warrant a fix before the release.

0 Kudos
mauroj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

346636 has been filed on this problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos