VMware Communities
AbSoluTc
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion + Ralink USB WIFI = Fusion Crash

Not sure what the deal is but if I try to enable my USB Rokland N3 WIFI device in VMWARE (latest version 3.1.3), it will hang and cause VMWARE to pretty much crash.  It won't be usable until I reboot my Macbook.  It happens if I use my Windows VM or my Linux VM.  Either one, as soon as I enable my WIFI USB device it's done.  Any ideas what the problem might be?

My USB WIFI device works fine in OSX and Bootcamp.  No issues.  Just not in VMWARE.  Which sucks because that's where I need it to work.  Open to ideas.  The device is the Rokland N3.  Uses Ralink chip.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

When you connect your USB wifi to the Mac, and set your VM network as bridge to USB wifi adapter, is it ok?

0 Kudos
AbSoluTc
Contributor
Contributor

There is no bridge to USB WIFI option.  Only wifi, bluetooth pan and another one.  As soon as I try and enable that device under USB settings for vmware, it hangs and I have to restart the machine in order for vmware to work again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are you attaching the USB WiFi directly to the Virtual Machine, is that when you have the issue?  If yes...

It may be an issue with the kernel extension for the device is not getting properly unloaded when being grabbed away from the Host by the Guest.  Also there is a WiFiUtilityStartUp folder in /System/Library/StartupItems that may also be contributing to the issue.

The first thing I'd try is unloading the kext before attaching it to the Virtual Machine and if that doesn't work then as a test I'd temporarily uninstall the software for it on the Mac and then see if there are any issues when connecting it to the Virtual Machine.  If there isn't then there may be a way to get it to with the software installed however first try unloading the kext and go from there.

In a Terminal:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

Now try attaching the USB WiFi to the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

I think it's a Fusion & device compatibility issue, if you are just use USB wifi to connect the network, can you try the NAT mode?

0 Kudos