VMware Communities
protoolzer
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Pro 11.5.1 mousepointer bug

Been running OSX High Sierra vm for a few years but the 11.5.1 update gives a mousepointer (graphical) bug where the normal sized mousepointer is behind a expanded bigger one.

24 Replies
sailnavy
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like in addition to the "Accessibility" getting VMware Fusion checked, you need to add it to "Input Monitoring" as well in the "Security & Privacy" control panel, under "Privacy".

0 Kudos
sschramm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I've been running into this issue as well and it bugged me enough to open a support case with VMware. The “gaming mode” suggestion was not a good workaround for me because the cursor speed was too slow (even after increasing to mac) and it would “lock” the cursor into the VM, meaning you can’t drag and drop between the VM and the host. After a lot of wasted time I finally got a helpful reply from one of their technicians:

1. Locate a folder called "Virtual Machine" on the Mac OS side and open the folder and you should see an ex: Windows 10*64.vmwarevm.
  2. Right click on the VM file
  3. Select "Show Package Content".
  4. Look for file ends with an extension .VMX (not .VMXF).
  5. Note: Make a copy of the .VMX on your desktop before you make any changes so you have a backup.
  6. Right click on the .VMX file and select open with Texedit.
  7. Scroll all the way down and add the below entries.
mks.noHostCursor = "TRUE"
  1. Click on File and select save.
  2. Go to the Mac System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy Tab > Accessibility > Select VMware Fusion and remove (minus) and re-add.

I was able to make this change and it fixed the issue for me! I asked if VMware would be willing to post here with this workaround and comment on when an update with the fix would be available, but they declined so hopefully this helps.

-Scott

Andy_Brunner
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott!

That solved a problem I had for a long time. Interestingly, this showed up only on 2 VMs with Windows Server 2012. None of the other VMs (Windows 10, macOS or CentOS) did had this problem.

Thanks for sharing this information!

Andy

0 Kudos
nisiv
Contributor
Contributor

Wow!  Thanks for sharing this.  This fixed it for me as well.

0 Kudos
oaklodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes this does seem to fix the issue however, with this setting the mouse seems to be quite jittery now....

0 Kudos