VMware Communities
blackbrick
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Pro 10.0.1 upload VM to ESXi 6.5

I'm trying to upload a functioning Fusion SBS2011 VM to an ESXi 6.5 server but am not having much luck.  I've tried to upload it through the Fusion interface but it doesn't result in an operational VM. The VM appears to be uploaded but upon powering it up, I get an "Operating System not found" error message.  The 'upload to server' also happens far faster than expected with such a large disk image,.

I've made sure hardware compatibility is at v13 and tried to set the boot device to hard drive but no luck. I've also tried to manually convert the vm using ovftool that came bundled with the Fusion10 install but the file is still unusable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ryuspeed
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure that you're not trying to upload a linked clone.  I had the same problem but the VM I was trying to upload was a linked clone.  The upload to server won't upload the appropriate source disk and the VM won't start.  My work around was to make a full clone of the VM and upload the full clone.

0 Kudos
blackbrick
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Ryuspeed.  I played around with it some more yesterday and got it going but hadn't had a chance to write about my experience. I tried to upload a Windows7 VM as well but didn't have any luck with 'Upload to Server'.  

The VMs that I have been trying to load are complete (not linked VMs) but were copied over from Fusion 8.5 and converted from Parallels and run fine inside the Fusion interface. I'm wondering now if there is a compatibility issue with the original VM and ESXi 6.5.  I had been using a Fusion thin disk configuration.  Funny enough, my Linux VMs were able to upload just fine.  I haven't checked to see which drive option these were configured with however.

What finally got me going was using the vmware-vdiskmanager (/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager).  I first tried to convert to an "ESXi thin provisioned virtual disk" but the program refused threw an error and wouldn't even start with that conversion.  I chose the next available option which was a "preallocated ESX-type virtual disk" and manually copied the file to the ESX server.  After that, I was able to attach the newly converted drive and get things running.

I would love to be able to use the gui to upload a vm and avoid the manual conversions.  I'll give cloning the VM a try and will let you know how I make out.

0 Kudos
alexanderjn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I came across what I think is the same issue. I don't know the root cause, but the workaround that worked for me was:

1. Create a new custom VM (let's call it 'VM_NEW') in Fusion (with the same OS setting as the one you want to upload)
  2. Delete all virtual disk(s) from 'VM_NEW'
  3. Copy the .vmdk(s) from the folder of the VM that won't upload (let's call it 'VM_OLD') to the VM folder of 'VM_NEW' (Note: in macOS High Sierra with the Fast File Copy feature this should be almost instant and take up no additional extra space)
  4. For each vmdk (in the order they appear in 'VM_OLD'
    1. In the configuration of 'VM_NEW', select 'Add Device', select 'Existing Hard Disk', select a vmdk, choose the radio button 'Share this virtual disk with the virtual machine that created it', then select 'Open'
  5. Check the 'Compatibility' section of 'VM_NEW' and change it to the a version compatible with the server you plan to upload it to.
  6. Test boot the machine
  7. If the test boot checks out, shut it down and then try uploading it with 'Upload to Server...'

​Hope this helps someone googling for a workaround

0 Kudos
alexanderjn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking in /Users/(user)/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/ovftool.log it seems that ovftool is throwing a warning citing the undocumented parameter disk.PTReadOverride. An example is below (emphasis added):

2018-08-21T19:14:34.088-05:00| VMware Fusion| I125+ '--machineOutput' '--X:logFile=/Users/(user)/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/ovftool.log' '--X:logLevel=verbose' --I:targetSessionTicket... '--I:morefArgs' '--noImageFiles' '--targetSSLThumbprint=(thumbprint)' '--name=(vm name)' '--datastore=vim.Datastore:datastore-47' '--vmFolder=vim.Folder:group-v184' '--net:nat=vim.Network:network-16' '--allowExtraConfig' '--extraConfig:disk.PTReadOverride=TRUE' '/Users/(user)/Documents/Virtual Machines/(vm name).vmwarevm/(vm name).vmx' 'vi://(vCenter FQDN)?moref=vim.HostSystem:host-23'

2018-08-21T19:14:35.630-05:00| VMware Fusion| I125: OVFTool::OnExit

2018-08-21T19:14:35.639-05:00| VMware Fusion| I125: OVFTool::HandleWarnings: Warning type 'ovftool-warning.transform.extraconfig.not.allowed', message 'ExtraConfig option 'disk.PTReadOverride' is not allowed, will skip it.'

Unfortunately I have no information on what disk.PTReadOverride refers to, other than that it appears in lamw​'s 2010 list of undocumented .vmx parameters (see https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2010/10/1200-undocumented-vmx-parameters.html for the blog and https://s3.amazonaws.com/virtuallyghetto-download/hidden_vmx_params.html for the list.

0 Kudos
bfan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is likely that the problem caused by incompletely VM uploading or Incompatible disk type.

1. Can you check the VM size on ESX server, make sure the VM is uploaded completely.

2. What type of disk VM the used? Did you ever change the disk type after uploading?

3. Are the two VMs you are trying to upload both converted from Parallels, what version of Parallels?

It's helpful to diagnose issue if we can get the support bundle file (Menu -> Help -> Collect Support Information).

0 Kudos