VMware Communities
Webini
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Player Mac 12.0.0 Errors with Big Sure Upgrade

Really frustrated right now.  Fusion Player 12 for Mac is supposed to support the Mac Big Sur OS upgrade.  I just completed my Big Sur upgrade and now I'm getting two errors starting my Windows 10 VM:

First error below.  I can't shut down the VM since the option is grayed out.

IMG_3656.jpg

Second error below.  Literally nothing I can do here.  So my VM is stuck in limbo apparently.  Does anyone have any feedback?  TIA!

IMG_3657.jpg

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Information about your hardware might help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
edruon5944
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here...
For the first error, just follow the given advice: Settings -> Advanced -> Disable Side Channel Mitigation

For the second : Settings -> Processors & Memory -> Advanced -> unchek "Enable hypervisor application..."

The second will make it impossible to run Windows 10 machine with WSL2 since it requires Hyper-V and so to have the hypervisor application enabled... I hope VMWare & Apple find a solution fast on this one...

0 Kudos
KellyBreit
Contributor
Contributor

Found this tip elsewhere, but cannot locate the page again to link to it.

Go to Virtual Machines menu/Settings/Processors & Memory/expanded Advanced Options at the bottom and uncheck Enable hypervisor ... and Enable code... check boxes.

If you are having trouble shutting down your VM, hold down the Option key and select Shutdown from the Virtual Machine menu and then proceed with making the changes above.

This worked to allow the VM to reboot. Now trying to figure out Quicken will not launch... one step forward, two steps back.

Webini
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all - this got my VM up and running.  Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Windows is working perfectly for me.

Frankly I'm stunned that VMWare would release V12 and market it as "Big Sur Compatible" with this known issue!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's not a bug.  The first is actually a feature (not an error) which enhances virtual machine security.  The second is a limitation in what Apple provides, and unless you're doing nested VM's, was enabled in error on the VM prior to the upgrade.

0 Kudos
FREMPONG
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion does not support nested virtualization on this host.

Module 'HV' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine

ANY HELP?

0 Kudos
lav12
Contributor
Contributor

the option is gray even when my VMware is shut down? 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you don't have a CPU that supports nested virtualization, then yes, it'll be disabled.  

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Reminds me of a very old saying: 

Nothing helps virtual like real.

All attempts at humor aside, perhaps this VMware KB article may shed more light on the subject: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80785

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@FREMPONG , what version of Fusion are you using?

If you're seeing that HV message and you're running Fusion 12.0, that error may be thrown because your CPU doesn't support VMCS shadowing. Supposedly Fusion 12.1 removes this requirement.

If you haven't given 12.1 a try, you might want to see if that helps.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos