VMware Communities
Mijrob
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Player 13 - Windows 11 ARM file and print sharing

I am trying to get File Sharing and Print Sharing going.  I have added macOS file sharing, set the directory to share, added print sharing and designated the printers to share.  rebooted and then started Windows 11 ARM and do not see any shared files as I did under prior Fusion.  I also tried adding Printers and when Each printer showed up, I selected 'Add' and the 'Add' failed.  Ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 13 does not yet support file sharing, print sharing, copy/paste or drag/drop for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines, which is disappointing. 

For file sharing, the workaround is to configure Windows file sharing in macOS (see macOS Help on how to do this) and share the folders you desire through that. It'll work for both nat and bridged networking.

For print sharing, use a bridged network. Any reasonably modern network printer that you can use with AirPrint or supports network printing via Windows will be visible and usable.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Mijrob
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  That is very disappointing.  Is file sharing on the fusion roadmap anytime soon?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Vmware is tight lipped on their roadmaps. But Michael Roy @Mikero  - the VMware product manager for Fusion -has been pretty supportive of Fusion on M1 Macs - he's used them to demonstrate the product in public conferences - so I think he knows how badly these features are needed.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Etlon
Contributor
Contributor

Have you actually gotten this to work? I set up Windows file sharing in the MacOS (Ventura 13.1) according to the MacOS Help instructions, designated a folder to be shared, and made sure the Mac and the Win11 ARM VM are both on the "WORKGROUP" workgroup. But in the Win11 ARM VM when I click on Network in the File Explorer, nothing shows up. Both the Mac and the Win11 VM have access to the Wi-Fi network because they can both access the internet. I'm using the NAT virtual NIC in the VM.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Browsing is problematic even if you're on the same workgroup. Connect using the IP address or hostname of the Mac e.g \\machostname if you're on Bridged networking or \\ip-address-of-mac if you are on NAT. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Etlon
Contributor
Contributor

Huh! That worked! Thank you! You're an all star!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you were able to get it to work. I've tended to be one of those "first one through the glass sliding door always gets bloodied" folks for Fusion VMs on Apple Silicon. Just passing along experiences so that it's easier for others.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos