VMware Communities
GeesRiK
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Networking problem VM XP using the OS X wifi

Hi, i'm very new to all this, so sorry if this has been covered a million times before! (I did search but couldn't find anything!)

I've got the following set up.

Macbook, running OS X, Fusion VM with a Win XP build.

As far as I can tell, the VM XP's network is connected (which as far as I can tell from here, is just a link to the OS X wifi connection... right or wrong?!) but I can't get the VM XP to connect out to the internet at all. Macbook OS X works fine, but not the VM XP!? i've tried it in all modes, Bridge, NAT, HOST! none work! What simple thing am I missing?!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

Could you please post your os x network config (ip address, mask & default getaway), guest ipconfig /all result and the content of your .vmx file ?

Thanks in advance.

If your vm is in bridged mode, it is indeed just a link to your active physical network connection.

0 Kudos
applisoft
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

i have the same trouble.

I believe it not depending on Vm settings but it is because Fusion connect (for default) to eth0 that normally is ethernet on notebook/desktop. At the same time wifi is mapped on eth1, infact in paralles you can change default by selecting between eht0 (default) or eth1.

So i believe this is a limitation of Fusion, i tryed to submit to VMWARE this issue but web application solve in error try later.

pls try you too and when the first (of us) reach any solution post here.

by,

marco

0 Kudos
dwilson99
Contributor
Contributor

I also have a networking problem. I'm on a MacBook Pro that hosts VMWare running Windows XP. My MacBook connects to an Apple Airport Extreme that provides DHCP. My Macbook has an IP address of 10.0.1.3.

I configured Windows in VMWare to use Bridged Networking, and Windows now has an IP address of 10.0.1.195. I can surf the Internet from Windows.

What I cannot do is ping Windows from my MacBook, or from another computer on my subnet. I tried NAT and it didn't work, and now I've tried Bridged and it didn't work. I can ping my Mac from Windows, but not vice-versa. I need to be able to talk to Windows from other computers on the subnet.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
applisoft
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

i received support from VMWARE, probably our trouble depend on updating from beta to RC release, anyway i will post solution (received from vmware) for you:

\-------

Dear marco,

Thank you for your Support Request.

From the description, we understand that network setting is not working in

Fusion with error massage "/dev/vmnet0 is not running"

This problem will resolve by uninstall and reinstalling the VMware Fusion.

We could request you to follow the below steps to uninstall and reinstall the

VMware Fusion

1. Ensure that only the latest .dmg file is mounted during uninstall and

reinstall

a. To uninstall follow these steps:

\* Uninstall VMware Fusion (Hard Drive/Library/Application

Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion)

\* Delete the following folder: Hard Drive /Library/Application

Support/VMware Fusion

\* Delete following file: ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist

\* Delete the following folder: ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion

b. Install VMware Fusion (double-click VMware-Fusion-xxxxx.dmg and then

double-click "Install VMware)

c. Enter the ordered serial number

d. Install the latest version of VMware Tools in your Virtual Machines

after installing Vmware Fusion

Note: ~Library is nothing but your home folder (Hard Drive/User/Home Folder

or User Name/Library)

Note that above mentioned steps are to uninstall and reinstall the fusion

application. By doing this there won't be any changes in the Virtual Machine

(Guest OS).

2. After reinstallation of VMware Fusion, please check for network

connection.

3. Please check the network in "NAT" mode

If the problem sill persists please send us the log files by running

vm-support.tool from /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion

\------

pay attention, you do not use bridge but NAT.

now, for me, it is all running!!!

ciao

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Check the Windows firewall. That thing is constantly getting in my way.

0 Kudos
nathanp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In between switching from one networking configuration to another, it seems that I have to run a couple windows commands before it actually switches (or you could reboot your Virtual Machine).

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Bridged will act like another machine in your network, so if you have WiFi, then the VM will also try to get an IP address from your router.

NAT gets an IP address from a vmware process on your OSX and when you access the network (through your WiFi) with your VM, it will appear as though OSX is doing it.

Host-only won't get you on the network. It is meant to only talk to OSX.

Both NAT and Bridged should get you out on the internet, but Bridged may not work if the router does not give it an IP address.

0 Kudos