VMware Communities
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Mac Book Intel core 2 duo Solaris 10 64 bit

I am trying to install 64 bit solaris on my macbook (core 2 duo) and it boots of in 32 bit mode. Are 64 bit guest OS's supported on macbook with core 2 duo? As I read the FAQ it appears that they are.

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/faqs.html

How ever the installer starts automatically in 32 bit mode and then comes to the point where it says starting solaris installation and sits there. I am choosing interactive install. Why does the install start automatically in 32 bit mode?

I read about the longmode option that confuses the installer, but thats on a 32 bit host, when the installer tries to go into 64 bit mode.

I cant seem to find a way to delete a Virtual machine. The only way I could get rid of it is to uninstall fusion. I expected the uninstaller tool to blow away the vmware directory when I uninstalled fusion. How ever, it retained the directory and its sub directories.

Any pointers would be great.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>How ever the installer starts automatically in 32 bit mode and then comes to the point where it says starting solaris installation and sits there. I am choosing interactive install. Why does the install start automatically in 32 bit mode?

You have the legacy of BIOS to thank for this. This is one reason Intel wanted manfacturers to adoption U/EFI like Apple did. Smiley Happy In most PCs, bootstrapping occurs in 32-bit (or lesser) modes, it isn't until the guest OS starts up that it switches into 64-bit mode or begins to execute 64-bit instructions.

>I am trying to install 64 bit solaris.

Can you clarify which update of Solaris 10 this is, e.g. 03/05, 06/06 (Update 2), or 11/06 (Update 3)? I know there are outstanding issues with 06/06 on various virtualization platforms. I haven't heard of anyone trying 11/06 recently.

0 Kudos
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

Answering part of my question.

I chose Sun Solaris and installed Solaris 10 instead of the Solaris 10 64 bit which just completed. I started the VM and it came up with a message saying that I am running a 64 bit OS and suggested to enable the 64 bit mode from the VM settings. How ever, I dont see any thing that in the settings section. Do I need to enable something in the BIOS?

What's happening???

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Try reading this thread:

<a href="http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=512286">Control 32/64-bit status</a>

0 Kudos
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

This one is the latest sol that I downloaded some time in December. I checked /etc/release and it is 11/06. Also, I dis an isainfo -kv and it shows 64 bit amd64 kernel modules. Is it just the fusion thats not able to figure out the 64 bit modules are loaded?

I am still trying to find an option in fusion menmu where I can delete a VM.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think Fusion itself has a way to delete VMs. However, it's simple to accomplish - just drag the folder containing the VM to the trash (using the Finder). Doing this will also cause it to be removed from the "recent VMs" list. You can also clear the recent VM list via File>Open Recent>Clear Menu.

Uninstalling Fusion shouldn't delete VMs (though I guess it'll clear out the recent list). If it does delete the actual VMs, something's wrong.

(Edited by etung to add location of menu clearing)

0 Kudos
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

I read what you are refering to. It appears that my guest OS is booting and running 64 bit as it cleary says that at boot up time and isainfo also reports the same. It appears to me that Fusion is not figuring it some how.

0 Kudos
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

Ahhh, I see thats why the vmware folder was still lying around even after I uninstalled fusion.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>I am still trying to find an option in fusion menu where I can delete a VM.

All you really need to do remove a VM from the Fusion welcome screen is delete the .vmx file. You can keep the VMDK disk files if they have valueable content. You can always create a VM configuration and re-associate it with VMDK disk images you have around.

0 Kudos
sjetty
Contributor
Contributor

More stuff

I started to install vmware tools and I chose option to set my display to 1280X800 and all of a sudden weird things started to happen. Before it was set to 1024X768. I couldnt get the VM to make use of the full screen in full screen mode. Thats why i changed the display settings when I was prompted as a part of the tools install. I did a reboot after the install and the destop login never came to life. My VM window became 3 times bigger horizontally and I couldnt get any where. At this point OS X gave up saying that I have to reboot by holding power key for sever seconds. Ok what ever and I rebooted to find that the Solaris root file system is screwed up and couldnt be of any use even after a manual fsck. I am trying to find what caused the OS X to panic.

0 Kudos