VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Light

I installed Fusion 3.01 then uninstalled it, and installed the 3.01 Light... but no matter how many times I do this I still see the "Install McAfee VirusScan Plus" as a menu item.

I HATE THIS!... (was that loud enough?)

The last time I installed a light version, it meant there was no such menu item...

I'm putting in NOD32 so I don't ever need to see the words McAfee again...

What's going on here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I installed Fusion 3.01 then uninstalled it, and installed the 3.01 Light... but no matter how many times I do this I still see the "Install McAfee VirusScan Plus" as a menu item.

AFAIK There is no difference in the VMware Fusion.app between the two .dmg's you can download and that is why you see the menu item for McAfee even though the antivirus.iso isn't present in the Light version.

I HATE THIS!... (was that loud enough?)

It was so loud it's no longer on my menu see...

No what I did was actually edit the plMainMenu.nib using Interface Builder in Developer Tools to remove the menu item because I can't stand to see it either and all that product does is slow down Windows more the any other AV product I've used and Fusion is already unbearably slow for me to begin with so I would never install McAfee either.

The last time I installed a light version, it meant there was no such menu item...

I'm putting in NOD32 so I don't ever need to see the words McAfee again...

What's going on here?

I haven't installed both in Fusion 3 but in Fusion 2 it didn't make any difference it showed no matter what and I believe it to be the same with Fusion 3.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yep, the difference between the regular and light, is simply that light waits until you click it to download the installation files, while regular has them already included.

I understand VMWare reasoning for adding it in, but just wish they'd picked a better vendor. Like Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free and works better. At least they didn't pick Symantec.

0 Kudos