VMware Communities
parry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion Kexts, CPU Temp and Fan

I am running B4 on my Core 2 Duo MacBook and I noticed that after installation of Fusion my laptop was running hotter than it used to - even when I was not running any application at all. This behavior persisted across reboots. (Temp reached 69 C and Fan was 6100 RPM - I could hear the loud fan noise)

Just out of curiosity I tried unloading the vmmon vmci and vmioplug kexts (vmnet won't unload for some reason) and the temperature dropped back to 55C and fan went to 2000 RPM.

Is this a known problem? Is there going to be a fix? It's annoying to run a hot and noisy laptop especially when idling.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What's taking up the CPU time (e.g. what's Activity Monitor or top say)? There is a problem with airport taking 100% CPU which seems aggravated by VMware kexts, although it's been observed on systems without Fusion installed.

0 Kudos
parry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Top does not show anything taking CPU apart from top itself which takes about 11.5% when running and I find that weird esp. since VMware is not running at all. Would something running in kernel - like a kext thread say - show up in top? If not then that would explain it.

But the effect of unloading Vmware kexts is very noticeable - temperature drops, fans go to normal etc.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think top should show all processes, even those owned by root, though I don't know what kexts would show up as. Are you sure you were sorting by CPU? Can you double check in Activity Monitor?

0 Kudos
parry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I checked in top as well as Activity Monitor by sorting with CPU usage - top / Activity Monitor are on the top and are the only processes that are consuming CPU.

If I leave the VMWare kexts there and let the machine idle the temperature goes to 72C and fans stay full speed 6000RPM. The moment I remove the kexts the temperature gradually goes back to 55C and fans go back to 2000 RPM which is the least speed.

0 Kudos
HobbitFootAussi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kexts usually run as threads within the kernel or as functions that apps can call. They aren't processes themselves. You won't see them running in any process manager.

One thing I found interesting. Using VMWare B4 on a Core Duo MacBook Pro, I never had any temp issues. Using VMWare B4 on a 3g C2D MacBook Pro just running VMWare heats up the laptop and the fans run. Even with a 0-2% CPU use on the VM running.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

HFA, parry:

Hmm, interesting and somewhat alarming. Definitely file a bug report. Can you be more specific about your hardware model and OS revision?

Edit: HFA: Is this the exact same problem parry is seeing, e.g. does it occur even when Fusion is not running? -etung 2007.06.21 13:35

0 Kudos
parry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you know where should I file a bug?

H/W - Core 2 Duo MacBook (White, pre Santa Rosa) , 2GB RAM.

OS - Mac OS X 10.4.9 (updating to 10.4.10 today.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
parry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just filed a bug.

0 Kudos
ksc
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Any idea which kext specifically?

0 Kudos
brettpowley
Contributor
Contributor

I've noticed the same thing -- 1st generation MacBook Pro. When VMWare Fusion is installed, the fan runs continuously, even when VMWare isn't running, even across reboots. Uninstalling (which I presume unloads the kexts) fixes it.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you check for the airport process as mentioned above?

0 Kudos