VMware Communities
Tweaker
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion - Default Screen Size

I'm running VMware Fusion on my MacBook. After my Windows XP VM boots my screen is 1024x639. While I realize that it "fits" my screen I need it to run at 1024x768 all the time. The software I use requires this screen size. How can I do this without me having to manually do this over and over when I reboot?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

I just tried to set 1024x768 and then to reboot and the VM booted in 1024x768. Perhaps you did not clarify your problem exactly?

0 Kudos
Tweaker
Contributor
Contributor

I've already tried that multiple times just to make sure I've done it properly. I'm able to change it to 1024x768 but when I shut the VM down and relaunch it (or suspend) it reverts back to fitting resolution.

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

when Mac Book resolution is set to 1280 x 800 and Guest OS resolution to 1024 x 786 then virtual machine window won’t get fit in the Mac Book screen it will automatically change the screen resolution to 1024 x 678 if the VMware Fusion Status Bar and Fusion is Tool bar is visible

can use the 1024 x 756 screen resolution by hiding the virtual machine status Bar and Tool Bar

You can hide the status bar and tool bar from VMware Fusion Menu --> View --> Hide Status Bar and Hide Tool Bar

0 Kudos
Tweaker
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't matter to me if it "fits" on my screen or not. The software's requirements is 1024x768. If it isn't possible then that's the answer.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

when Mac Book resolution is set to 1280 x 800

that explains the difference, I have 1440x900 resolution

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It doesn't matter to me if it "fits" on my screen or not. The software's requirements is 1024x768. If it isn't possible then that's the answer.

I just tested with the Host's Screen Resolution set to 1280x800 and the Guest in Full Screen view the Virtual Machine's Screen Resolution could be set to 1024x768.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

The point is if you reboot the VM you it will fit not be 1024x768, and you will have to reset the resolution to 1024x768 again. And not having to do this on each reboot is all Tweaker asks for.

0 Kudos
Tweaker
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ is correct. I want it to always be 1024x768. Again, if it can't be done then that's the answer.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think there's a way to do this (other than something drastic like disabling Tools) - I believe we always ask the guest to try to fit inside the console window, and always try to fit the console window on screen by default.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm running VMware Fusion on my MacBook. After my Windows XP VM boots my screen is 1024x639. While I realize that it "fits" my screen I need it to run at 1024x768 all the time. The software I use requires this screen size. How can I do this without me having to manually do this over and over when I reboot?

I know of a way it can be done however you may not find it acceptable buts that your choice... Smiley Happy

On a MacBook the native Screen Resolution is 1280 x 800 and to have a Windows Virtual Machine always boot to its Desktop and end up at 1024 x 768 without additional user interaction you would have to start the Virtual Machine using an AppleScript applet to start the target Virtual Machine in Full Screen view and the use a 3rd Party Utility like SETRES from BartPE as a Windows Startup Item with an argument of 1024 x 768.

I've tested it and it does work and while it not a perfect solution it's doable.

If you're interested in how to accomplish this let me know and I'll provide additional information.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Also SETRES can be used to force the Virtual Machine windows to be 1024 x 768 while in Single window view as well. The Virtual Machine window will have horizontal and vertical scroll bars however the 1024 x 768 screen resolution is maintained.

You can download SetRes from http://www.iansharpe.com/

For the AppleScript have a look at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/122793 which I wrote for starting a Virtual Machine in Unity or Full Screen at Login however you don't have to use it that why but the code is applicable for just a Desktop Alias to start thing off.

0 Kudos