VMware Communities
James_Hallam
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion + Bootcamp with shared partitions

I need some advice on configuring my partitions/shared folders to best share data between OS X, Bootcamp XP and Bootcamp XP VM.

I followed the instructions at , which gave me three partitions: one HFS+ for OS X, one FAT32 for shared data, and one NTFS for XP. When I was logged into XP through Bootcamp, the FAT32 partition was easily accesible, but when I logged in through Fusion, it just claimed that the drive needed to be formatted, and couldn't access any data.

Should this be able to work? Can Fusion and OS X access the same FAT32 partition on the same drive at the same time? Is there a better way to get what I want (simultaneous access to the same files in the same location from all 3 OS configs)?

Thanks for your assistance,

James

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You might have noticed that when you start the Boot Camp virtual machine in Fusion, the Boot Camp partition disappeared - this is because only one OS gets to control a device at a time to avoid consistency issues (similar things happen with USB). Your FAT32 partition probably stayed mounted, but either way, it can only be used by one OS or the other. However, you can set up network file sharing or a VMware Shared Folder to get access to the FAT32 partition.

0 Kudos
drwff
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please provide specifics on how to do this? That would be much appreicated!!

thanks

0 Kudos