VMware Communities
rwilson352
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Bootcamp + Shared partition problems

Greetings,

I am having a little trouble with my configuration and I have spent hours reading and I can't find any information on the subject.

I have a new 15" MBP (Early 2011) with a 750 GB HD. I have 3 partitions: 1) OS X, 2) Bootcamp (W7 Ultimate), and 3) a shared partition (for general data storage...ie, pictures, music, documents, etc).

When I boot fusion, it makes my bootcamp and shared partitions inaccessbile. This creates a lot of problems because the shared partition is home to many files that I use regularly for both OS'. For example, I have a library of photos on the shared drive that are indexed by Picasa. The other day, picasa was running while I booted Fusion, so Picasa thought the folders were deleted. Later, I had to re-import and thus re-index all my libraries, tags, etc afterwards.

I'm still not sure why Fusion needs to disable access to the shared partition. I don't understand why it needs to disable the bootcamp partition either (but that is not an inconvienience). Why can't OSX and Fusion both have access to the shared partition?

As-is, I pretty much have to shut down all programs that might use data on the shared drive (picasa, itunes, netbeans, database servers, etc). This is tantamount to shutting down the OS entirely, which makes Fusion little more than a small time-saver (ie, booting Fusion is quicker than restarting in bootcamp).

It would be really great if the partition was still accessible while booting fusion. Can anyone help?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The problem is VMware Fusion is an application and it is not VMware Fusion that's booting is the Virtual Machine that's booting and it not clear whether or not you're talking about a normal file based Virtual Machine or running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine so to help figure out what is what and to avoid having to ask you a bunch of questions to start then the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think I have a pretty good idea what the issue is.  When you start Fusion and boot your Boot Camp partition, it mounts the shared partition which means it is no longer mounted by the Mac.  Only one OS can have control of the partition at a time.  Does Windows assign it a drive letter?  If it does assign a letter, it definitely means that Windows is mounting the drive.  This is expected behaviour.

0 Kudos