VMware Communities
worldsense
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion, Boot Camp, and Windows 7

Hi Folks -

I'm trying to get VMWare to work with a Windows 7 Boot Camp installation.

After some fiddling I got Windows 7 installed under Boot Camp - it didn't like the partition BC created so I had to erase it and create an NTFS partition during the Windows install.

I now have Windows 7 working fine - but only under BC.

When I try to add it in VMWare I get "Could not create the Virtual Disk for your Boot Camp virtual machine".

I'm running Fusion 3.0.1.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Technically Windows 7 is not yet supported by Apple on the Boot Camp partition and they missed their own self-imposed deadline to have it supported by the end of 2009.

That said, did you delete the existing Boot Camp partition and recreate it and then format it or did you just reformat the one the Boot Camp Assistant created?

Also...

The vmware.log file from the Helper Virtual Machine might be helpful so in a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and it will copy the target vmware.log file to your Desktop as Helper_vmware.log and you can then archive and attach the file to a reply post. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below, as is, from "cp" at the beginning to the g in Helper_vmware.log.

cp "/Users/${USER}/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log" ~/Desktop/Helper_vmware.log

0 Kudos
worldsense
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a helper folder?

There's a Boot Camp folder in the Virtual Machines folder, but there's nothing in it?

I'm fairly certain I actually had to delete and create a new partition - it wouldn't let me reformat it for some reason.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm fairly certain I actually had to delete and create a new partition - it wouldn't let me reformat it for some reason.

This may be a case of mis-matched MBR and GPT entries and will need to see is the output of the following commands in a Terminal which will redirect the output to a file on the Desktop named "gpt_mbr_info.txt" and then attach the file to a reply post

sudo gpt -r show /dev/disk0 > ~/Desktop/gpt_mbr_info.txt

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0 >> ~/Desktop/gpt_mbr_info.txt

/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0 >> ~/Desktop/gpt_mbr_info.txt

Note: Just copy and paste one line at a time into the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and then press Enter after each and then attach the gpt_mbr_info.txt file from the Desktop.

Also note if the target disk is not disk0 then change disk0 to the appropriate disk number.

0 Kudos