VMware Communities
SreenName001
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8 with Big Sur

Hi guys,

I just updated to Mac OS Big Sur yesterday and I have an error message :

Capture d’écran, le 2020-11-13 à 11.36.29.png

Sorry it's in French but it says that the physical memory is not sufficient. Here is it directly translation from google translate : 

Native applications and / or services may have locked their memory in order to prevent the virtual machine from launching. Closing unnecessary applications or services can free enough memory to start this virtual machine.
If you were able to activate this virtual machine on this host computer before, try restarting the host computer. Restarting may allow you to use slightly more host memory to run virtual machines.

I was running both of theses VMs yesterday with no problem. Le me know if I must update to a newer version of Fusion or there is a work around. Let me know!

Thanks for your help guys. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Only VMware Fusion 12 supports running on Big Sur.

See also:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

Perhaps the free Fusion Player 12 will work for you. (there's a link in the 2nd article)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
danlallouz
Contributor
Contributor

I actually tried this last night... and got it to work!! I duplicated a Mojave VM, and tried installing from the Software Update in SysPrefs, but didn't have enough free disk space. Tried increasing the disk in Fusion8, but didn't work (prob because APFS?).

So I created a new vDisk and installed Big Sur fresh onto the new HD, booted from the Mojave VM... it worked! Imported the user from old vDisk, then deleted the disk. 

Be warned: even though I've given it 4 CPUs and 16 GB of RAM, it's visually super slow, as anything above Mojave needs major GPU. (I tried increasing the VRAM to 64 GB in the VMX file, but wasn't recognised by the Mac VM. 

I'm running Fusion 8 on a (cheese-grater) Mac Pro w 12 cores and 112 GB or RAM, but my graphics card is weak (Radeon 5770). I didn't spend much time with it, just wanted to see if it could be done. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Topic Starter isn't trying to run a Big Sur VM, they are trying to use Fusion 8 on Big Sur as host OS.

The first might indeed work, the latter won't work.
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva