VMware Communities
AndrewJMoser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion 8 cannot start newly created BootCamp

2015 Macbook, OSX 10.11 B6, Fusion 8 Pro.

Whenever I try to add BootCamp in Fusion 8 I get the following errors.

You do not have write access to a partition

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 9.37.45 AM.png

I click Allow All, and then get the following Bad file descriptor error

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 9.37.53 AM.png

Clicking retry has same results.  When I cancel, I get this error, VMware Fusion cannot synchronize with the disk before canceling.

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 9.38.01 AM.png

I can boot into bootcamp fine, I've run a repair on my disk and partition within OS X with no errors.   My partition scheme appears correct, but I'm not an expert there, just from what I've seen.  Anyone seen this or know a workaround?

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 9.40.52 AM.png

27 Replies
alexjbarr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I'm wondering if this has now been fixed?

Should have checked here 1st as I've got the same problem - just trying to run Fusion 8.0.1 using my bootcamp win 10. its killed bootcamp.

Argh

0 Kudos
sichan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can someone from vmware team please come out of stealth mode and provide some form of status update on the "fix"? Most of us are accustomised to this feature just working and have become heavily reliable on it in our daily workflow. Some form of ETA would be great.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's fixed, in testing right now, we'll be releasing before the end of October unless there is some crazy show-stopper or security bug (which it doesn't look like there is)

Sorry for the trouble, this one surprised us and was challenging to resolve, but we're confident our fixes will work for everyone experiencing this particular issue, and users will be able to keep SIP enabled as it should be.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
jaffanz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome news mate. Pass on my thanks to the team and thanks for the efforts.

0 Kudos
csteinle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

8.0.2 fixes this for me. BUT, after turning SIP back on I had to delete then recreate my Bootcamp VM to get rid of another error. Obviously this didn't lose any data as the bootcamp partition was still intact, but is worth bearing in mind if you have been working around this issue by disabling SIP.

0 Kudos
cdc1999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had to delete and recreate my Boot Camp VM and I never disabled SIP. It's now back to working as well as it did before the OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan upgrade.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the problem still persists please try to recreate the BootCamp Virtual Machine. Refer : VMware KB: Launching your Boot Camp partition in VMware Fusion

This should help !!

0 Kudos
Dynatnt1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to use the workaround by disabling SIP and then reinstall my Boot Camp partition after I updated to the latest release.

My virtual machine now seems to be running slow. Do I need to enable SIP again after installing the latest VMWare update or does it do it automatically?

If so, how to I re-enable SIP on my machine?

Thanks,

Toby

0 Kudos