VMware Communities
esean78
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8 cannot boot from BootCamp

I've tried Fusion 8 on 10.11 pb5. After created a BootCamp VM, it cannot boot. The error message is below:

The operation on the file "/dev/rdisk0s1" failed (Bad file descriptor).

The file system where disk "/dev/rdisk0s1" resides is full.

Select _Retry to attempt the operation again.

Select Cancel to end the session.

19 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Fusion, I don't have this issue on my three different Macs. Could you collect the support bundle and attach it here?

0 Kudos
kode54
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue with Fusion 8 trial on my Retina 5K iMac, which is using FileVault 2 encryption. Full support info attached.

0 Kudos
ishtari
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, fusion 8 on El capitan GM trying to start a win 10 bootcamp

0 Kudos
sideshow_mel
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing this same issue + error with Fusion 8.0.0, Filevault 2, and Windows 10 boot camp on El Capitan GM 1. Windows 10 was pre-existing and El Capitan was an upgrade install from Yosemite.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Weird... I'm going to have the engineers check on this

edit:

OP (esean78), are you using FileVault as well?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
dangero
Contributor
Contributor

FYI I also have this problem on my rMBP. Deny All does fix the issue for me too.

nathanzamprogno
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this problem. Trialling Fusion 8 on El Capitan GM and Windows 10 in Boot Camp.

Error is "The operation on the file "/dev/rdisk0s1" failed (Bad file descriptor)." when trying to start the VM created addressing the Boot Camp.

0 Kudos
MikeOrmerod
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried this with Fusion 8.0.1 Professional and a Windows 10 BootCamp and get the same issue Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
eirikt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having precisely the same problem with El Capitan/Fusion 8/Windows 10 bootcamp. The error message reads:

The operation on the file "/dev/rdisk0s1" failed (Bad file descriptor).

The file system where disk "/dev/rdisk0s1" resides is full.

I have enabled FileVault in my macintosh installation.

0 Kudos
chihunlee
Contributor
Contributor

i have same issue.

BootCamp partition is "/dev/rdisk0s4", but fusion try to find "/dev/rdisk0s1".

i wanna change partition on metadata. but i couldn't find where is it.

0 Kudos
RemcoPerlee
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on this? I have the same problem, effectively being unable to use VMWare at all on my Mac. I only use it for this purpose.

0 Kudos
JasonCox
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue, though my error message is a touch different:

Cannot open the disk '/Users/Jason/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

SLPatterson
Contributor
Contributor

Using VMWare Fusion 8.1 (with the last-minute update last night) with Windows 10 on a 2015 MBP-Retina with El Capitan -- and get this consistently --

Cannot open the disk '/Users/steve/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
JasonCox
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I ended up getting it to work. Long story short, if you create a new Boot Camp machine in Fusion, it will boot. However if you're on Windows 10, you'll lose your product activation. This means you'll either have to jump through all the hoops of getting it reactivated by either calling Microsoft or going through the "Reddit method".

Being that I didn't feel like wasting half a day down the "Reddit method" so I started looking for diffs in the files generated for each virtual machine. I found that the '#Extend description' section of Boot Camp.vmdk was different between the old and new Boot Camp VM's. I copy/pasted this section from Boot Camp-2.vmdk to Boot Camp.vmdk and the VM started right up. Unfortunately this data is going to be different for every user as it's specific to your HDD/SSD so I can't just paste my solution for everyone to use, however I wanted to mention it here incase it helps VMware's devs out.

0 Kudos
adrianwi
Contributor
Contributor

Well, what a disasterous upgrade that was!

Happily running latest Fusion 6 with a Windows 10 VM using my Bootcamp partition on a 2013 MBA.

Upgraded to 8.0.0 and then 8.0.1 as it was prompted on startup (I only downloaded the file this afternoon, surely they could have given me 8.0.1?) and then tried to run the VM.

Message asking if I wanted to upgrade, which I assumed wasn't optional so went with Yes.  It wouldn't upgrade my existing VM, so I thought what the heck I'll remove it and recreate from my Bootcamp partition.

Tried to create a new VM and after watching the import for 5-10 minutes that won't work either!

Then spent a few hours reading threads like this and not having much hope.  Booted into Bootcamp just to check that was all working fine, which it was.

Back into OSX 10.11 and rescued the old VM from the Trash Can and opened that from the ~/Library/Application Support... folder and hey presto it's loaded, all be it very slowly.  I suspect the speed issue is it resinatlling the VMWare Tools as it's just asked to be rebooted.

Fingers crossed it still works after that...

0 Kudos
dbarkley
Contributor
Contributor

It's a real problem and this is what I've been able to find out.

It has to do with the new System Integrity Protection that Apple introduced in El Capitan. You can get VMWare Fusion to work with BootCamp but I don't recommend it. It was shown to me by a VMWare Tech but then he came back  two hours later with warnings about it. Also, if you launch this way Shut Down never stops. You need to go to the VMWare Menu and shut down a second time.

1. Launch Bootcamp from VMware as usual

2. Click Deny All on the first warning about permissions

3. Click Yes at the second warning.

BUT DON'T DO IT. Look at all the warnings you get on the last page (item 3) where you click yes.

"Selecting Deny or Deny All will return a fatal disk error to the boot program (e.g., LILO) or guest operating system running in the virtual machine. The boot program or guest operating system might not be able to handle the errors. This might prevent the virtual machine from powering on or continuing to run. Do you want to continue?"

It seems to work but there is a chance that one of these times it will corrupt Boot Camp.I'm told there will be a fix "sometime in the future".

0 Kudos
nathanzamprogno
Contributor
Contributor

This solution worked for me, per identical issue on another thread:

Fusion 8 cannot start newly created BootCamp

Simply click "Deny All" when asked. Also: VMWare have acknowledged the issue (as Oct 1st) and are working on a fix.

I now have Fusion working with Windows 10 on El Capitan.

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 product activation can be very slow. I would ignore it until it becomes a problem. I have seen it take three days to reactivate. It can also lose it again and then reactivate a couple of days later.

I have had problem with my two BootCamp drives due to changing /dev/ assignments after reboot. I have ended up manually editing the VMDKs and creating prebuilt variations for the various combinations. These are cloned from one set so that the Extend description etc. does not change. After a boot I check with a command linte "mount" and then copy the correct versions. Never had to do this for Fusion 7/Yosemite.

If it does not correct itself in the next updates, I will have to create a script to run after boot...

0 Kudos
nathanzamprogno
Contributor
Contributor

It's worth pointing out that, more than six months later, VMWare have issued no fix for this bug, and the risks inherent in clicking "Deny All" have, as predicted, hosed my Boot Camp installation.

I get the impression that VMWare is a very bad company. Perhaps people should ditch it and go over to Parallels?

0 Kudos