VMware Communities
daver102016
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8.5 won't run on mac mini with OS 10.11 - unsupported?

I recently upgraded my mac mini from 10.6 (snow leopard) to 10.11 (el capitan), and lost Fusion 3 access as it is unsupported with the new OS.  I purchased, downloaded and installed Fusion 8.5, but the application icon shows the circle-slash indicating 8.5 is not supported on my machine.  When I select the app, the following error is displayed:

You can't use this version of the application "VMware Fusion.app" with this version of OS X.   You have "VMware Fusion.app 8.5.0

I thought my mac met the mininum system requirements.  Can anyone verify or refute the following should be supported with Fusion 8.5?

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.6

Mac mini (Mid 2010)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

If this mac should be supported with version 8.5, what else might cause the non-supported app?

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 8.5 can run on mac mini with OS 10.11

Hi Dave,

Fusion 8.5 can support with OS 10.11.

Please try to  Re-downloaded image and delete the current fusion in Application folder and installed again.

If still doesn't work, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 7.47.08 AM.png

0 Kudos
daver102016
Contributor
Contributor

After thinking about my situation with the new Fusion 8.5 upgrade on my mac mini, I did the following to find a resolution:

1. Verify that the mac mini (mid 2010) was indeed 64 bit.  I discovered mine was right on the cusp of 32 to 64 bit hardware.
  2. Rename my Documents/Virtual Machines that contained the old Fusion 3 VM.
  3. Reinstall from the Fusion 8.5 dmg file.

Not sure if renaming the folder had anything to do with the install, but the install worked as needed after the rename. 

Hope this helps anyone getting the circle-slash icon after installation.

0 Kudos