VMware Communities
Thomas_McKane
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8.5 on MacOS Sierra Crashing Often

After any of my Windows VM's boot up, they freeze more often than not and I get an error that Windows has stopped responding and needs rebooted.  I sometimes have to reboot 3 times before it will actually boot up and be usable.

This NEVER happened with previous versions of Fusion.

PLEASE FIX THIS BUG

101 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Your value false isn't accepted because by default macOS uses smart quotes when you type and it should use normal quotes.

Disabling smart quotes in Mavericks | Der Flounder

Note that you can just disable 3D under display settings of the VM configuration screen. So no need to change the vmx file manually for adjusting that particular setting.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
WallyTgoat
Contributor
Contributor

TY!  I hadn't thought of that...

0 Kudos
MarkusGreis
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue mostly with Copy&Paste in W10 here.

Changed Display, Accelerate 3D Graphics to on and 'Always Use High Performance Graphics' using 2GB of memory.

If Integrated GPU is uses, I've a freeze for 10-30 seconds several times a day.

I've created a ticket now, too.

0 Kudos
philippeannet
Contributor
Contributor

Same story here...   crashes with W7 Ultimate x86, using Word, recurrent system crashes... everything freezes, touch bar inclusive...

Hard reset needed...

Since months... unacceptable !!

0 Kudos
philippeannet
Contributor
Contributor

just set the enableGLBasicRenderer trick... will report soon if that brings help...

0 Kudos
philippeannet
Contributor
Contributor

Confirmed: the enableGLbasicRenderer does NOT fix the issue for me !

0 Kudos
MarkusGreis
Contributor
Contributor

vmware said it is a known issue with the MBP with Touchbar and they are working on it:

PR# 1849799

Recommendation was to use the Fusion Pro Tech Preview 2017

This is not for production use, so no solution for me.

My workaround so far: With High Performance Graphics enabled, no freeze.

0 Kudos
RG1540
Contributor
Contributor

Disabling 3D acceleration fixed my problems.

0 Kudos
bvanhook
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having a similar issue... my Windows 10 guest OS just suddenly quits... it only happens when Fusion is the background application. The VM will just stop, goes to the black screen with the play button in the middle of the window, as if it was shutdown, but it's not a graceful shutdown. Once that happens, a reboot of the Mac OS is required before the VM will boot again. Disabling the 3D acceleration did not resolve this issue.

I'm running on a Mac Pro (late 2013) with Mac OS 10.12.6. I have plenty of free disk space and memory. Not sure what else to try. I have found nothing relevant in the logs.

0 Kudos
skyschemer
Contributor
Contributor

I see a very similar problem on my MacBook Pro (w/ Touchbar) on Sierra, running Fusion 8.5. Except, I am using Fusion to connect to a remote server rather than running the VM locally. In this configuration, what happens is Fusion freezes periodically for several seconds at a time, and eventually it freezes then entire OS. The MacBook has to be hard-rebooted.

0 Kudos
Andi_Di
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I followed this thread almost from the beginning since I have the same issue on a MacBoo Pro (with Touch Bar) on Sierra with Fusion 8.5. Happily I could use my old MBP with El Capitan to bypass the problem.

Since yesterday Fusion 10.0.0 is released - I felt hope...

I payed, I downloaded, I upgraded and then like always during the start of an existing machine the upgrade of the VM-Tools is announced. I started it and got immediately an error. The message is in German and I just translate:

An error occurred in VMware Fusion and Windows was shut down

Options:

- Ignore

- Restart Windows

Multiple attempts to restart failed. Attempts to use other VMs (I just use Windows 7 on multiple machines) failed also.

I tried to 'clean install' Fusion by removing the previous version by KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion (1017838). The clean installation is surprisingly fast. But nothing changes. I still get this error.

Finally I pressed Report and created a support request and tried to add the generated ZIP. The FTP environment considered the Fusion Report Zip as 'not allowed file'.

It seems that everything failed Smiley Happy. I cannot work at all now. Get the feeling that I have to say good bye to Fusion soon

0 Kudos
beccoblu
Contributor
Contributor

gosh

I am starting to hear Parallels' mermaids 😞

0 Kudos
skyschemer
Contributor
Contributor

More information: it seems I only run into the freezes/hangs when I use Remote Desktop Connection inside of the VM.

0 Kudos
skyschemer
Contributor
Contributor

Aaaaand...I take this back. I just had a complete freeze requiring a hard reboot when running a freshly booted Win 10 VM instance. It was up less than 10 minutes, and I never started RDC.

However, dropping back to 8.5.7 seems to have eliminated the issue. I am pretty sure this started when I upgraded to 8.5.8, so it would make sense that a downgrade took care of it.

0 Kudos
Andi_Di
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sad Smiley Sad - the freezes are back in vmware fusion 10.0.0

Just had also a complete freeze in this latest version which required a hard boot.

So... what did they do about this in the new version?

I received quick and skilled help for my installation problem of 10.0.0 by the vmware support (good news - see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151791) and meanwhile they have 10.0.1, but the freeze problem persists.

@skyschemer: How to drop back to 8.5.7? Have you been successful with this downgrade?

Beau22
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm 10.0.1 is freezing constantly on Sierra and High Sierra.
Huge disappointment and productivity killer.

0 Kudos
beccoblu
Contributor
Contributor

It's unbelievable. Maybe nobody cares too much, among VMguys?

0 Kudos
Andi_Di
Contributor
Contributor

Hi erveryone,

here is an update on my freeze problems with Sierra on MBP with touch bar and Vmware 10.0.1:

I submitted a service request with a detailed description of my situation and got a call short terms by a support guy. I gave remote access to my machine and he analyzed the status. In the first days there was no progress, but I added support information a couple of times (VMware help menu ->gather support information) with precise time of freezes. Furthermore I always related to this thread and recommended to contact the VMware guys who posted something here.

After some time I couldn't see any progress and being asked ridicules questions (e.g. to upgrade to 10.01 - which I reported done in the history of my service request long before) I used the proposed link to inform the VMware management. Then things began to move. I had a long telephone call with a skilled guy who could explain the (already posted) fact that there are minimum two to three error effects mixed in this thread. He was extremely open and confirmed that there are still problems with the sleep status in combination with Sierra.

Finally I (a) disabled the sleep mode on my mac and (b) switched the 'Accelerate 3D Graphics' on selecting the mode 'Always use high performance graphics'. According to the support this is as good as a complete switch off on 3D Acceleration.

With these settings I am free of freezes since two weeks.

VMware is obviously working on the final solution but prevented me from a time and money consuming change to Paralles.

Hopefully the final solution will be found soon. But as long as I can work like this the situation is OK for me.

Hope this helps others also.

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
wat_wat
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try suggestions from Andreas and keep my fingers crossed.

Hanging only occurs only on my MBP 2016 Touch Bar 15".  I have a 2014 MBP with the same software installed and have not had any issues.  Hardware was upgraded for the upgraded CPU and extended battery life, however constant crashing/hanging has made work life unproductive and a misery.  Crashing about 8 times a day.

Has anyone had any issues running Parallels?  Might be time to flip-flop back until VMware can sort this issue out.

Regards,

Clayton

0 Kudos
Craig0
Contributor
Contributor

Much like mriffey, I am having the same issue. It seems random as to when it happens ... Running VMware Fusion 8.5.8 on Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 w/16 GB Memory and OS X 10.12.6. VM is Windows 7. Occurs when running single window, full screen, or unity mode. I am normally running in single window.

Basic scenario: Working away minding my own business when everything locks up. Beach ball appears though it is not even spinning. The only way out is a cold restart of the machine.

Sometimes it doesn't happen at all in a day, sometimes it happens 3-10 times in a day. Also note that I do almost nothing in this VM, I have to have it for Outlook and other MS Office titles otherwise I wouldn't even be running a Windows VM at all.

This only happens when running the VM... Mac has otherwise never locked up.

0 Kudos