VMware Communities
djphat2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 8.5 nMac Pro 2013 and 10.12 Sierra

I'm noticing issues that seem to happen fairly frequently now.  Beachball of death "only" in my fusion VM's.  I have a Windows 7 VM and Windows 8.1.  Both will exhibit the same issue randomly during the day. 

My keyboard will lockup, and no mouse either.  Just the beach ball.  If I catch it quick enough I can move my mouse off that screen (I keep my VM's on there own screen of which I have 4 screens).  If I get the mouse out of the screen in time.  I can still use it on my main Mac Display (Showing Mac OS desktop, etc).  When I move the mouse back over the VM's, it shows a beach ball.  It lasts maybe 10 or so seconds before getting back to normal and being usable again.  I may get another few minutes before it happens again.  Or maybe an hour at times.  Again, pretty random. 

I have had few issues with Fusion over the years on my many Macs.  I this one is definitely an issue that needs to be fixed soon, as I can't work like that. 

I am about to reboot (everything), and reinstall the VM tools just in case that helps.  But, if anyone else has had this issue, and a fix.  Please share Smiley Happy

nMac Pro 2013

intel Xeon 6 Core

32GB RAM

512GB PCI-e HD

ATi D500

Mac OS X Sierra 10.12

Fusion 8.5

3 Replies
RealTonyYoung
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. VMWare offers zero reason or answer beyond "it must be your virtual machine." Activity Monitor on the Mac side shows zero CPU usage during this time. Very frustrating! I'd like VMWare to start taking this issue seriously

My OS and hardware are same as yours

jfletch
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing on a 2009 8-core 2.93Ghz Xserve. I have reinstalled everything. Twice. The VMs (One OS X EL Cap and one WinServer 2012) work fine with remote access and all servers on them work fine. Going to the host OS, though, Fusion is hung up. If I can activate any other app the machine is running fine. Fusion just shows beachballs. Sucky beachballs. OS X ElCap. Fusion 8.5.3. 64GB RAM. 240 GB PCI SSD startup drive. Everything else runs great on it. Fusion, not so much. Grrrr.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Aside from upgrading to 8.5.3, two ideas:  first, how many cores/RAM are you allocating to the VM - it sounds like the host is being starved.

Alternatively, check your hard drive to make sure it isn't failing (for the 2009 mac followup post, that's highly likely).

0 Kudos