VMware Communities
drmarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 8.5 - macOS Sierra 10.12 (GM) - MacBook Pro Camera Malfunction

I was waiting to report this until both Fusion 8.5 and the Sierra golden master were out, but the problem persists.

I have a Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with a built-in FaceTime HD Camera (UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34064).

After I start a virtual machine the camera cannot be turned on by any other application (FaceTime, Photo Booth, Skype).  The camera remains unresponsive even after shutting down virtual machines and quitting Fusion, until I reboot the MacBook.  If another app is using the camera when I start a Fusion VM, the camera continues to work until I close the other app, then it will not reactivate if I restart the other app.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Can anyone suggest a resolution?  I'm happy to provide more information if necessary.  Thanks!

Tags (3)
41 Replies
Tubebaum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It almost appeared that 8.5.2 fixed the issue but after upgrading, I can confirm that the bug continues to persist on 8.5.3 (4696910).

0 Kudos
chriscatford
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's been a while since Mikero said anything about this issue. Any updates??

philmoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've found a proper fix - Oracle VM VirtualBox

No crashes, camera works in both host & guest, provides all the functionality of Fusion Pro, and it's 100% FREE.

0 Kudos
TFulvio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did an upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra and I have these problems.

Someone did a fresh install of the Sierra? Always it has the same problems in this case?

0 Kudos
kpd2226
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Came across this thread searching for an issue to this exact problem.  Vmware can you help please?  Tell us something?

0 Kudos
Tubebaum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just received an update and I can confirm that the bug continues to exist for Version 8.5.4 (5115894). Any updates on when this will be fixed?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are still actively investigating this issue but no solution yet. Please stay tuned. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue happens only on MacBookPro10,1 machine and on 10.12 operating system. Every time Fusion is launched on 10.12 Mac operating system, the camera stops working.

Please try below steps to see if the attached tool can restore your camera:

1. Close Fusion

2. In Terminal:

tar -zxf USBTest.tar.gz

3. In Terminal:

sudo ./USBTest

If you can see the output "done" from the Terminal window after running, then it means the issue should have been fixed. You can re-open the camera to see if it works.

If you can see nothing from Terminal, then the camera model is not matched.

If you can see any other output, the tool cannot fix this issue.

0 Kudos
philmoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How is this USBTest tool any different to the Parallels replug_facetime fix posted 5 months ago!!!!!!!

It even suffers from the same problem as the replug_facetime fix - if Chrome is running it prints 'done'; but the camera is still non-operational.

If Oracle can make VirtualBox work correctly with the camera on this model MacBook Pro, why is it taking so long to fix?

0 Kudos
dacmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still seeing the same issue on my mid-2012 MacBook Air (MacBookAir5,2), MacOS 10.12.3, Fusion 8.5.4.

Doug

--

0 Kudos
kpd2226
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Waiting for a fix on this is taking way too long.  Unacceptable!

0 Kudos
dacmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FWIW -- I've opened a support ticket with VMWare for this issue -- first contact was somewhat confused, and I've pointed them toward this thread for further information -- if others are still finding this to be a PITA, please consider pinging this thread, can't hurt, maybe the issue will get some attention -- thanks,

Doug

--

0 Kudos
Tubebaum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue still exists on Version 8.5.5 (5192483). The fix posted requires shutting down VMware, not a particularly helpful solution.

0 Kudos
kpd2226
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seem support from Vmware Fusion is really going down hill.....

0 Kudos
dacmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FWIW -- here is the reply I received from VMWare Technical Support (I'd pointed them to this discussion thread):

> I went through the provided community forums and noticed that you are facing an issue using in-built

> camera in your Mac book, while VMware Fusion is running. Douglas, we have already reported this issue internally

> with our development team to have a fix for this issue. However, as per the latest update from our development team, this

> issue is isolated and found to be an issue with Mac Operating System 10.12.x. Hence, they have already opened a high priority ticket with

> Apple on this. As per the latest update, this issue would be resolved in the next Mac Operating System update release, which is expected

> to happen soon. At this point of time, the work around for this issue would be to use an external USB camera in the Mac for now and once

> Mac OS X update is released, this issue would be taken care.

So -- that sounds like it's up to Apple. Guessing 10.13 will be available after WWDC in June, so at least a few more months of no video camera for me.

FWIW(2) I installed VirtualBox to see if I might migrate my VMs short-term, but abandoned the effort pretty quickly as my work environment is vSphere and the Fusion integration seems tighter. 

Doug

--

0 Kudos
egberts1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OH MY GOODNESS.  AFTER 11 LONG MONTHS....

GOOGLE CHROME WAS THE PROBLEM.

KILLED CHROME with Cisco Webex plugin.  And the problem goes away for me.

0 Kudos
egberts1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not the correct answer.  Still an issue.

0 Kudos
thor0128
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I may have a improved work around via a bit of applescript and the replug facetime. I am working on it and hope to test it later today. It works for another vendors app. Fingers crossed more to follow if you are  interested.. Ok it works,

here is the script:

tell application "Terminal"

activate

delay 4

do shell script "~/Downloads/replug_facetime" with administrator privileges

end tell

delay2

activateapplication "FaceTime"

tell application "System Events"

tell process "FaceTime"

clickmenu item "FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)" of menu 1 of menu bar item "Video" of menu bar 1

end tell

end tell

you can copy and paste the script into script editor (in the utility folder of your applications on the mac) I have redone the script so it prompts for the password/ I added a verification step by launching FaceTime app and verifying that my camera works. you need to run the script after launch of Parallels. to compile the script use the hammer icon in script editor. let me know how it works? unzip the attached file into your downloads folder "Fix_Facetime_cam.zip". before you launch the "Fix_Facetime_cam" file you will need to allowing to make the changes by going into system preferences choosing the "Security & Privacy" icon. Then clicking the "lock" icon to unlock it, (it will ask for your user name an password to allow this change). then click the "+" icon browse to your "Downloads folder" and select the "Fix_Facetime_cam" script. Then click the "open" button in the dialog box. Clock the "Lock" icon and close system preferences window. now launch parallels once it is running you can execute the script from the downloads folder and enter your password, you should be good to go.. You will need to run this apple script after each launch (and closure) of VMWare 8.5 app.. TADA

0 Kudos
themenace
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it just me or has the issue been fixed with the latest update.

for me, a persistent and repeatable issue for a long time.

Open Facetime -> works

Close Facetime

Open VMWARE

Open Facetime -> works

Close Facetime

Close VMWARE

Open Facetime -> works

repeat ...

Cannot get it to fault now !

0 Kudos
themenace
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone updated to 10 ?

Does the problem still exist with Fusion 10 / High Sierra ?

Thanks for any update

0 Kudos