VMware Communities
SharkLasersRock
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8.1 upgrade + USB 3.0 + new vmware tools on Win 10 cause issues with Fujitsu Scansnap S1300i scanner

Setup:

Mac osx Yosemite

Fusion 8.0.x Pro -> 8.10 Pro upgrade

Removed Vmtools from Win 10 virtual machine, reboot, install, reboot

USB 3.0 controller emulation

Hypothesis:

USB 3.0 emulation and VMware tool drivers have changed some timing parameters that are causing timeouts or errors for the scansnap Fujitsu hardware or driver running in Win 10 VM

Symptoms:

- Scansnap Fujitsu S1300i scanner connects correctly

- Application in Win 10 initiates scan

- Scanner light blinks and then the application crashes (disappears)

- Scanner light keeps on blinking

- Close scanner / power off, the application window returns with an error that scanner was unplugged

Correct Behavior (worked correctly till this upgrade)

- Scansnap Fujitsu S1300i scanner connects correctly

- Application in Win 10 initiates scan

- Scanner light blinks and then feeds the paper thru and scans

- Application windows opens with the scan preview

Workaround

- Power off Win 10 VM

- Removed USB 3.0 controller for the Win 10 VM

- Boot the Win 10 VM and login

- Power off Win 10 VM

- Add USB 2.0 controller to the Win 10 VM

- Boot the Win 10 VM and login

- Power on the scanner and the scanner drivers are now attached to the USB 2.0 controller in the Win 10 Device Manager

Issue 1: I am forced to run all my other USB3.0 peripherals at USB 2.0 speed, which will be slow for all the USB 3.0 HDD connected to the Win 10 VM.

Issue 2: Everything was working correctly before but the VMware tools upgrade broke stuff. Clearly, something is not correct here and I am concerned that my other peripherals will face USB 3.0 issues. All my devices are USB 3.0 now and not sure what Pandora's box I am opening by running them with USB 3.0.

Please help on how to fix this issue?

Message was edited by: Fu FU Clarified that it was Fusion 8.0 Pro

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thanks for using Fusion.

Issue 1 - The USB3.0 mass storage device works fine in Fusion 8.1 with USB3.0 controller selected.

Issue 2 - I tried on my side. This is a regression bug. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I would report this bug to the development ASAP. 
Really appreciate for you testing and research the workaround. If there has any upgrade/fix will keep you posted in this page.

Thanks so much. Merry Xmas and Happy new year!

- Tim

0 Kudos
erikmaaloe
Contributor
Contributor

FYI: I have exactly the same problem, but with my HP Scanjet 8300, after upgrading from VMware Fusion 8.0 Pro to 8.1 Pro. I have 2 Windows guest, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and the same problem in both guest OSs.

A fix to this problem will be very appreciated.

/Erik Maaløe

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

As a possibly workaround, have you tried connecting the scanner through a USB 2.0 hub, but leaving your other devices plugged into USB 3 ports on your computer? Would that downgrade only the scanner to USB 2.0, but leave the other devices working with the Windows 10 USB 3.0 driver?

(I have no easy way to test this, it is just a guess, having seen a similar suggestion in a different thread.)

0 Kudos
Allansch
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar issue with my LG Blu-ray player that worked fine prior to the upgrade to Fusion 8.1.

0 Kudos
erikmaaloe
Contributor
Contributor

Currently, I have no need for USB 3 in my Windows guests, so I have applied the workaround suggested in the first post. But thanks for your suggestion. I might have to try it if no fix from VMware is coming soon.

/Erik

0 Kudos
Allansch
Contributor
Contributor

I tried this and still no luck. Besides, work arounds are not acceptable. My VM (and with it VMware) is pretty much useless at this point.

0 Kudos
WeetA34
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have a similar issue with Win 7 Guest + USB3 driver, Win 8.1.

Unable to format USB key or SD card

Drive disappears after a timeout in guest

Rgds

Stéphane

0 Kudos