VMware Communities
demigodmac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 8.0 conflicts with Nvidia web driver for Mac

Warning to anyone using an Nvidia card that uses their web driver: Fusion 8.0 with 3D acceleration enabled causes a hard crash.  Sometimes it will even freeze the whole Mac.

Hardware Version 12 crashes the VM at boot 100% of the time.  Version 11 boots and runs normally but eventually crashes the VM.

Temporary workaround is to disable 3D acceleration.

28 Replies
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some good news. Nvidia have just released Nvidia Web Drivers version 346.03.02f1.

I'm using them on El Capitan, and with them I can enable "Accelerate 3D Graphics"  in both my Windows 10 and Ubuntu Virtual Machines, with no problems (on Fusion 8.0.1). I've also heard they enable Metal on some Nvidia cards too.

So the driver conflict seems to be resolved - for me at least. Would be good to hear from other users if this new driver also resolves your Nvidia Graphics problems.

0 Kudos
theamk
Contributor
Contributor

I've just upgraded to El Captain with Nvidia Web Drivers version 346.03.02f01.

Now I'm able to use my Windows 10 VM with "3D acceleration" enabled, however it appears that this makes Fusion 8.0.1 unstable.

0 Kudos
demigodmac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can now boot with DX10 3D acceleration turned on using El Capitan and the new Nvidia driver.  So far so good!

Will need to do more testing to see how stable it is, however.

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, I only use Fusion to run 1-2 Windows apps in Unity, so would be interested if more heavy usage (or different hardware configurations) uncover stability problems with the new drivers. So far, I've had no problems with my light usage.

0 Kudos
dittman
Contributor
Contributor

I have a MacBook Pro with GT 750M running El Capitan and Fusion 8.0.1 with the default OS X drives and when I click the button to start up the Windows 7 VM nothing happens.  After I click it a second time the VM tries to start and after a second Fusion crashes.

Turning off 3D acceleration allows the VM to start but as I have two displays (the MBP's display and an external monitor) then the lack of working support for more than one monitor in Fusion kicks in and I get one working display and one black screen that only shows the cursor (but that's a whole other issue that's been waiting on a fix for a while).  At least I can use the VM.

0 Kudos
dittman
Contributor
Contributor

And apparently even turning off 3D acceleration doesn't completely fix the problem.  I just had a crash starting up the VM without it.

0 Kudos
demigodmac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nvidia released El Capitan drivers a few days ago, might be worth a try to see if it fixes your issue:

NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.02

If it's a driver bug and not a problem with Fusion then it would be up to Apple to fix it in the default OS X drivers.

Side note: Apple's Nvidia drivers are badly out of date.  They haven't updated them since 10.8.5 with the 780 GTX and original Titan and likely won't touch them until a new Mac model comes out with Nvidia graphics; lately Apple has been all AMD.

0 Kudos
dittman
Contributor
Contributor

Per the release notes the drivers don't apply to my Mac or Nvidia chipset (and they are beta as well).  I'd rather stick with the Apple drivers to avoid any other issues that might arise from unsupported beta drivers.

Rolling my MBP back to Yosemite fixed the problem.  Now I wish I hadn't wasted my money buying the upgrade to Fusion 8.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue is raised from Nvidia, we have contacted with them and solve it.

This issue is fixed on El Capitan(10.11)  with their new web driver,

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/92173/en-us

Thanks and Regards

Roger

0 Kudos