VMware Communities
John_MC_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 7 - "3D Acceleration requires updating VMware tools in this Virtual Machine"

Hi,

I installed the Free Trial Fusion 7 this week on my iMac and subsequently installed Windows 8.

The screen resolution under Windows is very poor compared to that under the Mac OS.

Moreover, I have the following warning message in the Display settings under Windows:

"3D Acceleration requires updating VMware tools in this Virtual Machine"

I also notice that the display driver on Windows is the Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

A few weeks ago, I installed the Fusion 6 version and it worked very well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at Installing and Using VMware Tools and more spicifically at Manually Install or Upgrade VMware Tools in a Windows Virtual Machine.

If by some chance VMware Fusion is not properly mounting the VMware Tools windows.iso image file then you'll need to do it manually.  It's located at "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso" and will need to be copied, not moved, to an accessible location outside the VMware Fusion.app bundle like the Desktop.  If you need to do this you can right-click the VMware Fusion.app bundle selecting Show package Contents and navigate to its location to copy it.  For assigning the windows.iso image to the CD/DVD have a look at: Connect and Set Up a CD/DVD Drive

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Were VMware Tools updated or are you still running the the ones from VMware Fusion 6?

0 Kudos
John_MC_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running the most recent Fusion available i.e. Fuion 7. I check for updates and it says I have all updates installed.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello @John_MC_C

While that is an answer, it is not an answer to the question that WoodyZ asked. Smiley Happy

His question was if you have installed VMware Tools in your guest OS Windows. VMware Tools is  a set of applications and drivers that enhance the capabilities of Windows while running as a guest OS. One of those enhancements is a better display driver.

From the Fusion menu, select Virtual Machine -> Install VMware Tools.

Normally this will pop up a installer setup within your Windows and you are supposed to run that.

Select the default options and then reboot when asked for it.

Upon reboot Windows will start using the new drivers and the option under the menu Virtual Machine changes into "Reinstall VMware Tools"

If the installer setup doesn't start automatically then check in the virtual machine for the CD/DVD and start the setup from there by hand.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
John_MC_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil,

Thank you for your swift response and the clarification.

When I selected Virtual Machines->Install VMware Tools, and select Install - there was no further popup and the menu option was changed to 'Cancel VMware Tools installation'.

Then I checked the Virtual Machine-> CD/DVC (SATA) menu option but I see nothing relevant to installing VMware Tools. After reading a KB note, I believe I am to execute a file setup.exe - but I cannot find it.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have a look at Installing and Using VMware Tools and more spicifically at Manually Install or Upgrade VMware Tools in a Windows Virtual Machine.

If by some chance VMware Fusion is not properly mounting the VMware Tools windows.iso image file then you'll need to do it manually.  It's located at "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/windows.iso" and will need to be copied, not moved, to an accessible location outside the VMware Fusion.app bundle like the Desktop.  If you need to do this you can right-click the VMware Fusion.app bundle selecting Show package Contents and navigate to its location to copy it.  For assigning the windows.iso image to the CD/DVD have a look at: Connect and Set Up a CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
John_MC_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ and Wil,

Thank you for all your support. It works great now. Cheers, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So, what did you have to do. did VMware Fusion mount the ISO image properly or did you have to copy it out of the App bundle and manually attach it to the CD/DVD?

0 Kudos
John_MC_C
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To be honest with you, I uninstalled Fusion 7 and reinstalled it and then installed the VMware tools successfully in the normal fashion.

0 Kudos