VMware Communities
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7 Retina Screen Resolution Question

I may be missing something, but with the release of Fusion 7 and the improved graphics options/performance I am a little disappointed to find that while you can switch to 'retina' display on external monitors (thereby also reducing the font sizes,etc. to miniscule size) you still can't do the reverse on retina screens (e.g. use retina resolution but retain the sizing without customizing the host to use larger fonts/icons/etc.).  I have multiple VMs that I use at customer sites on regular monitors that display just fine using the default (uncheck for non retina "Use full resolution for Retina display") selection but when I move them back to the laptop retina display, the graphics quality is low (lots of jagged edges/low quality display). If I check that box and alter the selection, the VM gets SUPER tiny without having to customizing the UI on the guest.

It sure would be a nice option/feature to be able to select something that shows well on non-retina displays but then pixel doubles or the like for retina displays so you still have the high graphics quality without the complete resizing of the guest graphics.

Not complaining as I have been a long time Fusion/VMWare advocate, but just keep hoping for a better solution. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Berknip,

Thx for using Fusion, what kind of guest OS do you use?

For Windows Vista and later OS, we can choose to enable "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine", it will help to automatically adjust guest to use larger fronts.

0 Kudos
nriahi
Contributor
Contributor

"For Windows Vista and later OS, we can choose to enable "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine", it will help to automatically adjust guest to use larger fronts."

That does not always work well. In my case the higher DPI that is set automatically causes issues with Mouse movement. There are some major issues with how Fusion handles the display resolution on Retina. Been on support call 3 times so far and not a full solution to this problem yet.

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

That setting never works for me.  Not with XP, Vista nor Windows 7.

0 Kudos
nriahi
Contributor
Contributor

@Berknip. Have to tried fully uninstalling vmwaretools and rebooting Windows and reinstalling vmwaretools?

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

More than once. And it's not just a single VM that this doesn't work for either. I'd find it odd to affect multiple VMs and be some kind of installation issue.

0 Kudos
reesd27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree "Automatically adjust user interface" chooses badly (which is why I have always had it turned off). I think it would help if vmware allowed a little more customization of the "Automatically adjust user interface" option. Perhaps we could actually pick the PPI. Or maybe even better, vmware could remember the guest PPI setting on a per monitor basis. So it could change it based on which monitor you are using.

Unfortunately I don't think that helps that much with multiple-monitor setups since Windows uses one PPI across all monitors. But it certainly would help when switching between using an external monitor and being just on the laptop.

I am on Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro Retina if it matters.

Thanks,

d

PS, There is a long list of retina issues in 7 - VMware Fusion 7 and VMware Fusion 7 Professional Release Notes. I personally switched back to 6.0.4 because of some of them and am waiting for 7.0.1.

0 Kudos
TurkishDelight
Contributor
Contributor

Hey brother i was in same boat

and here is finally i found a fix-

Vmware Retina Display screen resolution FIX-MACBOOK - YouTube

Enjoy, regards

Turkish Delight

0 Kudos
docsound
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to a retina 13" macbook pro and ran into this issue immediately with text too small at native resolution or too fuzzy when scaled. I think I've found a solution that preserves text sharpness, unlike the option suggested below by Turkish Delight. In Windows 7, I simply went to the display control panel, first adjusted screen resolution to the native retina setting of 2560x1600, then set custom text size to 200%. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos