VMware Communities
JohnTheos
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7 Pro Trial

Hi all,

I have purchased Fusion 7 but I'm not entirely sure that I don't need the features provided by the PRO version.   I am trying to figure out if the extra features do what I want, but when I try to get the trial it seems to download the same non-pro version.   Is this something that is messed up with the download links or is there something I need to try by first uninstalling the current version and then installing the trial?   If so, what's the easiest way to uninstall my current version?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnTheos
Contributor
Contributor

Bump - just making sure this gets seen - I'm sure there's an answer to this.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi JohnTheos, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The download for Fusion 7 is the same as for Fusion 7 Pro (which is the same as for the Fusion 7 trial).  The same download will operate in "Pro" mode when you are using a "Pro" license (or have opted for the "Pro" trial) and in non-Pro mode otherwise.

The license information is retained on the system when you uninstall Fusion.  I'm not actually aware of any way to revert from "Pro" to a non-Pro license or non-Pro trial.

It sounds like you've already found this, but just in case... the information on the following page might help you make a decision without necessarily needing to run non-Pro first:  Compare VMware Fusion 7 Pro to Fusion 6 Professional, Fusion 7, and Parallels Desktop | United State...

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
JohnTheos
Contributor
Contributor

Darius thank you for the response.

One of the things I was really interested is setting something up in Fusion as I have done in Workstation 11 - that is to have VMs that can communicate with only each other via a virtual network and to the outside world only through another VM that could be acting as a firewall.   It's not clear to me if the Virtual Network Editor in Fusion has the capabilities of the Workstation VNE.

Would you happen to know?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion 7 Pro will allow you to do that: VMware Fusion (menu) > Preferences... > Network > (Click the lock to make changes) > [+] button, and ensure that you untick both Allow virtual machines on this network to connect to external networks (using NAT) and Connect the host Mac to this network.

Fusion 7 (non Pro) does not have the ability to make custom virtual networks.  The closest it comes to meeting your described needs: It provides just one Private to my Mac network, which does have a connection to the host but does not automatically bridge or NAT to anywhere outside the host.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos