VMware Communities
Steve247
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 7.1 can't suspend Windows 8.1 - "... large files are required."

Hello,

I have Fusion 7.1, Windows 8.1, running on a Mac Pro. Win 8.1 is installed on a 128 GB SSD. According to properties in Win 8.1 the drive is formatted in NTFS. When I try to suspend my fusion session I get a message saying:

"The state of this virtual machine can be saved only on a file system that supports files larger than 6.008 GB.

The filesystem does not support files larger than 2 GB.

Unable to save file '/Volumes/WIN8/Windows 8.1 x64.vmwarevm/./Windows 8.1 x64-4fcac0ca.vmss'.

Failed to suspend the virtual machine: Large files are required."

Help!

Thanks for any help or advice.

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Steve247 wrote: Will my problem be solved if I format the drive in NTFS format on the Mac side, and then re-install 8.1?

In your OP when you said "Win 8.1 is installed on a 128 GB SSD" along with the error message you're getting I'm assuming this an attached external storage device that's formatted FAT32.

Formatting it NTFS will be of no use unless you have a third-party NTFS R/W Driver installed like Tuxera NTFS for Mac or similar.  Even then that would not be my choice of Filesystem Format, I'd choose OS X's native HFS+ for the external storage device.  Of course if you're using this device cross-platform with Windows and or Linux then HFS+ is going to be an issue too, requiring third-party HFS+ R/W Driver.  So the common denominator if using cross-platform will be exFAT.  However that said I do not like using exFAT as it only maintains one copy of the FAT and if it gets messed up by not properly un-mounting the device before disconnecting it, well there's a good chance for corruption that's beyond easy recovery.

Note:  If you can backup the Virtual Machine Package elsewhere while reformatting the external storage device then you'll not have to reinstall it! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Steve247 wrote:

Hello,

I have Fusion 7.1, Windows 8.1, running on a Mac Pro. Win 8.1 is installed on a 128 GB SSD. According to properties in Win 8.1 the drive is formatted in NTFS. When I try to suspend my fusion session I get a message saying:

The guest file system is formatted in NTFS, that is not the issue.

Your external disk that is connected to mount point /Volumes/WIN8 is most likely formatted as fat32, you can check that in OS X.

It is the disk format at host (OS X) level here that is your problem.

Unfortunately VMware made a change to how split disk files work since Fusion 7 and instead of growing to a maximum of 2 GB they now can grow much larger depending on how big your guest disk is. The new minimum max chunk size is 4GB.

For more info see this thread on VMware Workstation (this is also true for fusion 7)

Re: Splitting disk to 2gb chunks

Hopefully you can still shut down the VM properly. Suspend won't work.

--

Wil

edit: changed link to deep link so you get to the data without having to read the whole thread.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Steve247
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will my problem be solved if I format the drive in NTFS format on the Mac side, and then re-install 8.1?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Steve247 wrote: Will my problem be solved if I format the drive in NTFS format on the Mac side, and then re-install 8.1?

In your OP when you said "Win 8.1 is installed on a 128 GB SSD" along with the error message you're getting I'm assuming this an attached external storage device that's formatted FAT32.

Formatting it NTFS will be of no use unless you have a third-party NTFS R/W Driver installed like Tuxera NTFS for Mac or similar.  Even then that would not be my choice of Filesystem Format, I'd choose OS X's native HFS+ for the external storage device.  Of course if you're using this device cross-platform with Windows and or Linux then HFS+ is going to be an issue too, requiring third-party HFS+ R/W Driver.  So the common denominator if using cross-platform will be exFAT.  However that said I do not like using exFAT as it only maintains one copy of the FAT and if it gets messed up by not properly un-mounting the device before disconnecting it, well there's a good chance for corruption that's beyond easy recovery.

Note:  If you can backup the Virtual Machine Package elsewhere while reformatting the external storage device then you'll not have to reinstall it! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Steve247
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The SSD is in my Mac Pro 2008. So if I format it on the Mac side with HFS+ and then put my backed up Virtual Machine Package, I should be okay??

Thanks for the info re VMP.

S

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes the HFS+ file system is OK to use and is the recommended file system.

Be careful to make the copy of your virtual machine package with Fusion shut down.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Steve247
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did it! I backed up my VMware virtual machine file and then reformatted the drive in HFS+ format and then reinstalled the 8.1 image. It all worked well and I can now suspend my session :smileylaugh:. I struggled a little as I wasn't sure how to work with the virtual machine package file, and I had some issues getting my XP bootcamp virtual machine  and the 8.1 virtual machine into the same virtual machine folder, but I did in the end.

Thanks to those who contributed and helped,

Steve

0 Kudos