VMware Communities
_Von
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 7.1.3 + iMac with Fusion Drive on High Sierra 10.13...Win 10 boots to a black screen

Hi All,

My Windows VM was working fine on my iMac prior to going to High Sierra.  I took the leap to High Sierra because it does not yet update the Fusion drive to APFS.  After trying to boot the VM I get the windows splash screen for a bit then I just have a black screen.  When my cursor enters the VM window it goes dark.

Any suggestions on getting 7.1.3 running?

THx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm afraid I've got some double bad news for you. Your version of Fusion is not supported on High Sierra, and a Windows 10 guest is not supported until Fusion 8.0. So you'll need to fix both of those things or you will encounter difficulties.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm afraid I've got some double bad news for you. Your version of Fusion is not supported on High Sierra, and a Windows 10 guest is not supported until Fusion 8.0. So you'll need to fix both of those things or you will encounter difficulties.

0 Kudos
_Von
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

daphnissov,

Thanks for this. I have a license for Fusion 8 however I guess I forgot to update from 7 to 8 on the iMac. However, the iMac was running on Sierra with 7.1.3. 

I downloaded Fusion and it updated to 10.0.0.1. When I tried to open my VM I was getting the same black screen so I was a bit panicked... Turns out that Windows was in the final stages of updating to the Creators Edition so after it sat for a bit, I finally got the Windows login screen and I seem to be back in business.  Thx again.

~Von 

0 Kudos