VMware Communities
udokonstantin
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7.1.3. crashes

Hi all,

I have Fusion 7.1.3. running on my Mac Book and my iMac.

Currently it isn't possible to close the preferences. Every time when I start Fusion, the preferences window starts also. This seems to be strange. When I close the preferences window or the virtual machine, I got an error.

"VMware Fusion terminated unexpectedly."

So I can ignore, send an report or open again....

Any idea?

Thanks

Udo

8 Replies
z35cW5S15N3L
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Made account on this vmware home site too because of this crash.

Happens now on iMac as soon as updated it to macOS Sierra. (10.12.2)

I have a MacBook that uses same VMware and Windows 10, but now that there are crashing, I only boot Windows VM and use it and close it. I did not try to recreate this problem from the iMac on this MacBook.

At least I could launch the VM on the iMac and use it this morning.

Yesterday it crashed right away.

After seeing some posts about View method messing it up like Full Screen or not,  I opened the preferences for the Windows 10 VM and tried to change one of the preferences to not use scaling. The Windows VM launched but closing preference box crashes VMware. When it is rebooted, the settings window appears right away with VM Library and the settings are not applied. All display boxes are ticked in the Display settings.

Log is attached from this morning.

Actions to produce this log:

Launch VMware (Windows 10 Preferences window appeared next to Virtual Machine Library)

Start windows 10 VM (Looks ok)

Close Windows 10 VM Preferences window.

Disappear all windows.

Message arrives: "VMware Fusion terminated unexpectedly."

Reported to Apple.

0 Kudos
udokonstantin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this information.

Which fusion Version did you use? I would like to update to fusion 8.5!

0 Kudos
z35cW5S15N3L
Contributor
Contributor

Crashing version is same 7.1.3. I posted here because it was exact same problem of this report. Preference window.

However, one other desktop iMac sofar had much more of the bigger issue. No VM would launch and VMware crashed with NaN error and message stating literally "#$%&!!@@..." has failed. So, very funny that some report was mangled to look like those mad words in a cartoon strip!

The user of this second system deleted 7.1.3 and installed trial version 8.5 and reports stable.

Problem is I uses more 18 licenses so cannot just update all right now to 8.5 with purchasing. Money must get approval and takes time. So, I am having to leave many iMac in potentially unstable situation. If not update Mac, maybe more serious problem of security, but if unable to test systems on Windows VM, we have big productivity problem.

I hope there will be some way of finding help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Currently it isn't possible to close the preferences. Every time when I start Fusion, the preferences window starts also.

This is a known issue for Fusion 7.x when running under macOS Sierra.

Unfortunately Fusion 7 is end of life, so personally I would not expect a fix for this on Fusion 7.

This issue does not exist in Fusion 8.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

If not update Mac, maybe more serious problem of security,

Maybe I'm missing a point, but Apple does still update both Yosemite as well as El Capitan.

Both of those OS X versions do run Fusion 7 without this issue.

Am I misunderstanding something?

edit: Actually Fusion 7.x is the one that is EOL and there are some security issues with that.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
z35cW5S15N3L
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. It settles the situation then. Not possible to run VMware 7.1.3 on macOS reliably. Must payout to VMware to get a stable program.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for using Fusion. Currently Fusion will not support Fusion 7.1.3 on macOS 10.12. You can upgrade it from 7.1.3 to 8.5.3.

0 Kudos
udokonstantin
Contributor
Contributor

I agree! I run Version 8.5 and it works. Right now I must pay for the upgrade. Anyway hopefully it is stable....

0 Kudos