VMware Communities
VimaUser
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7.1.3, USB 3.0 UASP supported?

Has anybody an idea if Fusion 7.1.3 (not the Professional one) supports UASP

for attached USB 3.0 external storage devices (not the folder sharing)?

A support ticket was open at VmWare Customer Support, they talk lot of stuff but

were not able up to now to answer the above question.

The question arises because one of such devices available does not work properly.

Practically no reasonable interaction with external USB 3.0 storage device is possible after had attached it to the guest.

It is busy with itself for very long time.

No problems when attaching it to the host.

With dock station of other model and brand no problems as well.

Guest OS supports UASP, Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop 64Bits.

The external storage device is a hdd/sdd dock station with USB 3.0 + UASP + eSATA III and 300GB WDC hdd BLACK inserted.

Host is os x 10.9.5. Host physically manufactured late 2013.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VimaUser
Contributor
Contributor

Any idea if support of the feature in focus enabled as for the pointed Fusion version?

No answer from VmWare so far.

0 Kudos
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Can you provide the device module type? If I don't have your device, I'm afraid it might cannot be reproduced on my side.

BTW, could you attached the Fusion logs? (Fusion -> Help -> Collect Support Information)

0 Kudos
VimaUser
Contributor
Contributor

The opening posting asks just one simple question.

Let's us seek the answer to that question.

Trials to reproduce the problems at your site nor log analysis won't be necessary if the answer to asked question should read the asked feature is not supported

as far the addressed VmWare solution. So let's seek the question answer first please.

The situation description was attached in order you get a little picture what the question context is.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

All of the stack should support UASP, first check your apple host supports it.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/173886/implications-of-using-a-usb-ssd-drive-to-run-vm-imag...

In Fusion 8.0 release notes there's a note about a known issue with UAS USB devices. ..

Somehow I doubt that 7.1.3 will be better on this respect as Fusion 8.0

VMware Fusion 8.0 Release Notes

The known issue there talks about a setting to disable UAS for the VM, maybe it is fixed in 8.1, but not in 8.01 or 8.02, at least there is no mention in their respective release notes.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
VimaUser
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input from you. Remaining elements of the chain were checked for USB 3.0 UASP support.

It was rather a rough check, results read UASP supported there.

I am not sure if the referenced apple stackexchange article applies as

booting the virt. mach. from USB external device is not in attempt here.

0 Kudos