VMware Communities
steveg050
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7.1.1 upgrade now FTDI USB to RS485 converter won't work, any help appreciated

When a friend bought a new IMac and wanted to monitor his solar inverter I suggested he install Fusion 7.1.0 which works very well for me on my old Macbook Pro . We both run Win 7 in Fusion using new FTDI usb to rs 485 converters to talk to the Inverters. All was going very well until he updated his Fusion to 7.1.1.

We now have the situation where both converters work perfectly on my system but neither will work on his IMac.

When either of the converters are plugged in to his computer it installs the drivers and reports that it is working correctly, appears in the Inverter software "Comms config" window but there is no communication at all.

This is one of those of those annoying problems that make you regret updating.

Anyone with ideas on this please?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stchr
Contributor
Contributor

plug the usb device, try in the device manager of Windows to uninstall the driver, restart the Vm.

Use Rs232 on my testserveres on OSX and Windows, its dodgy but when running they run good.

Also make sure:

usb_.png

steveg050
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for your suggestions. Am unable to try it out until the weekend but will give it a go.

0 Kudos
steveg050
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again, I'm afraid I was unable to find the settings window you showed in your reply so am unable to try out the recommendations.

I did manage to uninstall the original drivers then install drivers that are supposed to be for this device but that didn't work either.

Reinstalling the original drivers that used to work prior to the update to 7.1.1 but it still doesn't communicate despite win 7 reporting that all is well.

I'm wondering if it's possible to rollback to V7.1.0 of VMWare Fusion.

0 Kudos
stchr
Contributor
Contributor

in the Vmware click the settings for the Vm.

usb.png

alt. find a windows pc to test everything is running fine with the rs485.

0 Kudos