VMware Communities
vmanator
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7.1.1 says the hard VM stored on is almost full - It's not

Hi all,

Whenever I try to run my Ubuntu 14.4 VM, after about 10 minutes, I receive the error "disk on which the virtual machine is stored is almost full" and the VM gets paused. This is not true since the 2TB WD Black drive that the VMs are on has 1.5TB available. Any ideas how to fix this?

• VM is 200GB (~ 30GB used) with 4GB RAM
  • All VMs are stored on a separate internal SATA HDD
  • HOST: Mac Pro (mid 2010) with 3 hard drives (1TB OS, 3TB VMs, 3TB Time Machine) and 48GB RAM
  • Other VMs seem to work fine

I recently had to restore my Mac to a new hard drive from a Time Machine backup as my OS drive had failed. Since my VMs are stored on a separate HDD, I plugged it into a USB 3.0 dock and worked off my MacBook Pro 13" retina for a short while  while my Mac Pro Restored. Once the Mac Pro was ready, I shut down my VM and put the HDD back into the Mac Pro. Now every time I run the VM, I have the problem above. The rest of the Mac Pro seems absolutely fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Nator

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is the external drive formatted as FAT32?  If so, you may be hitting the limit on how a big a file you can hold - make sure the 'split disk into 2GB' option is set if that's the case.

Are you launching the VM from that drive via finder, or from the Library?  Sometimes the library points to an unexpected location.

0 Kudos
vmanator
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply dlhotka, but no the drive is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and a few files on the drive exceed 60+ gigabytes.

And I originally was launching from Finder. Then decided to try Library. Same problem on both...

0 Kudos