VMware Communities
royzart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 6 clipboard problem

With both Fusion 6 and 6.01 I've lost the ability to copy and paste from the OS X (10.8.5) clipboard to Windows 7.  So far I've repaired the VMware tools and disabled, then re-enabled the options under the Isolation settings, restarting the virtual machine each time.  Am I missing something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Kaiju
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1.  I have the same problem.  Does anyone know of a workaround or fix?  This is really annoying.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

See if this works.

VMware KB: Unity, copy/paste, and drag-and-drop do not work after restarting a virtual machine with ...

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
royzart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Abhilash.  The article you provided enabled me to resolve the copy/paste problem. Both approaches - disabling the autologin and modifyiong the registry -  were tested separately and worked.  I opted to modify the registry. So far, so good!

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you found my answer correct/helpful please mark the answer appropriately. It also helps others to refer to it in future Smiley Happy

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
mvngdcmls
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Those fixes in the link above did not work for me. I am on 10.8 host with a Win 7 guest. I can copy within OS X and paste into Windows but I can not paste from Windows into OS X. I do not have auto-login enabled and the vmware tray app is running for me. Even after setting the registry key I am still having issues.

0 Kudos
Optimyzed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The posted fix (regarding autologin and registry entry) did not work for me, either.  I just upgraded from Fusion 5, where a Windows 7 Pro virtual machine was working very well, including Unity and copy/paste between host and guest.  I upgraded to Fusion 6.0.1 and installed the new VMWare tools.

After removing and reinstalling the VMWare Tools, Copy/Paste between guest and host (both ways, actually) no longer works.  I am not using autologin and I verified that the Windows "Run" registry entry exists.  The VMWare Tools icon is currently in the taskbar/tray.

Possibly related, I am also experiencing intermittent problems with starting Unity (fullscreen or window disappears then VM display reappears in window mode after 5-10 seconds) and also noticing that the VMWare Tools icon sometimes disappears from the taskbar (though the VMWare Tools Service still shows "Running" under Windows Services.)

0 Kudos
Kaiju
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This does not work for me.  VMware Tools simply crashes whenever it starts, whether it's started manually or at startup via the registry setting.

Optimyzed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kaiju, I'm seeing similar issues.  Sometimes VMWare Tools starts and stay running for me in my Win7 guest machine (VMWare Tools icon in taskbar tray), other times it does not start or stay running.

0 Kudos
DBNAE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am seeing the same issue, I've followed all of the multiple steps provided, but copy/paste still do not work with Fusion 6.

0 Kudos
harmv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am seeing the same problem.

upgrading  from 6.0.1  to 6.0.2  does not fix the problem  (I did upgrade VM tools too in windows XP VM).

The workaround mentioned in https://communities.vmware.com/message/2304874#2304874  did fix it here.

0 Kudos
nulab71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue w/ regards to copy/paste between my Win7 VM and OS X Mavericks.

I can shut down and restart the VM and for some period of time copy and paste is fine but eventually it always stops working and the only solution is to reboot the VM.  Very frustrating.  I don't believe the VMWare Tools is crashing as has been reported by other folks.  I have tried both of the solutions suggested in this thread.  Neither one helps.  My registry had the correct entries and I already had the setting unchecked, open your Mac files and web links using Windows applications.

I'm running the latest version of OS X and Fusion 6.0.2

0 Kudos
brookssw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this problem. I'm 100% sure that this is NOT related to vmware tools crashing, because I am using Unity, which depends on VMWare tools running, and I've had no problems with unity. Interestingly, when I returned from Unity to Single Window mode, copy and paste started functioning as normal.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The link talks about adding this to the registry Run key:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareTray.exe

Trouble is,  that file doesn't exist in VMWare Fusion 6.02

Shouldn't you lot be paying us for system testing >:-(((

0 Kudos
DevD10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, VMWare should be paying us - clearly they are not prioritizing the replication of this issue.

So, anyway the Workaround/Unacceptable Solution for anyone still wondering is that you need to:

1) TOTALLY SHUT DOWN VMWare Fusion (including ALL VM's)

2) RE-RUN VMWare Fusion again and start the relevant Windows VM

3) Copy and Pase from MacOS to Windows now work again

4) Note: Until the point where the bugs and memory leaks accrue such that it stops working again...then:
GOTO 1

And YES, the file

• VMware Tools REG_SZ "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareTray.exe"

NO LONGER EXISTS

Environment:

MacOSX Mavericks 10.9

VMWare Fusion Version 6.0.2 (1398658)

Incidentally, a WARNING. If you upgrade to Mavericks, VMWare will force you to pay $50 to upgrade to the latest VMWare fusion that incrementally supports Mavericks.

0 Kudos
brookssw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been using Fusion since 4, and I've noticed a disturbing trend with VMWare. On each version so far I've experienced a widely-felt bug, which is discussed at great length in the forums. VMWare, at best, gives a "sorry, we'll look into it" response. At worst, they say nothing at all. Then the issue goes unanswered until the next version comes out. So far, in each case, the next version has solved my problem, but at the cost of a paid upgrade each time. I guess that's a solid way to get people to buy the next version: leave a bug in the code and only fix it with a paid update. I hope they don't do this with this bug too.

GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll second that.  Basically VMWare doesn't give a toss once they've got your money.  I'd even argue that VMWare's upgrades aren't worth a carrot as the "exciting new features" are things from previous versions,  or naturally expected fixes,  for example to make VMWare compatible with the latest version of OSX.

Their fixes for important things just don't happen.  How about a *horizontal* scrolling mouse?  What about the endless issues with full screen mode (this has been going on since Apple messed up things in Snow Leopard)?  Now we've intermittent clipboard problems,  problems with mouse clicking,  a half-baked Unity mode,  etc.   And they keep trying to flog that damn kaperski rubbish - it's not the "lite" build,  it's the non-bloatware build.

They're just getting more and more greedy.  Apple charge us $20 for Mountain Lion,  VMWare charges us $50 to "make it work".  Apple give us a "free" Mavericks upgrade,  VMWare charges us $50+ for the privilege....

0 Kudos
asyahdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also found that the reg key and cmd to run vmware tools didn't work. After trying to identify what stopped/caused issues with VMware tools, I've found in my case that my W7 32bit machine (converted from a shadow protect backup image to F6 vmdk and vmx) didn't have a sound card. when i added this upon first boot VMware tools was not running the 2 process (system and user). Deleting the sound card (editing the vmx file) didn't work and somehow this change was permanently made in the OS??

Any how i deleted the VM and recopied the the VMDK and VMX file. I then edited the vmx to add the sound card settings before booting, Then registered the VM, then booted it and waited for the VM to go through the various reboots for new hardware etc.

I've tried various other hardware changes/add/removes and so far seems good. - Lets hope so

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
tombsb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having this problem as well since performing a paid upgrade from Fusion 4.x to 6.x.

It is even worse that VMware won´t allow me to open a ticket. As soon as I try to send it, it just goes "Unable to complete your request". Very disappointing customer support.

We really need a fix for this issue asap.

Cheers

Tom

UPDATE: After checking everything again, I found that during the update from Fusion 4 to Fusion 6, the option "Activate Mac OS-Host Keyboard combination" (roughly translated) in the Mac-Host Key Command section was deactivated (unchecked). After checking it again, reinstalling VMware Tools and restarting the VM, copy & paste now seems to work fine.

0 Kudos
adihadi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am also experiencing the same problem - my copy/paste feature between host and guest operating systems stops working after couple days without restarting guested Windows. I'm using now VMware Fusion 6.0.6 (but it happend also before) and Yosemite.

I didn't check the registry entry yet, but restart of VMware each time resolving the problem. Sometimes it's very annoying.