VMware Communities
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion 6 Professional crashes on launch

I just upgraded to Fusion 6 Professional which was released today.  It crashes on launch.  I've attached a crash report.  I reverted to Fusion 5.0.3 in order to collect the support information which is also attached.

Any ideas?

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
71 Replies
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For the record, the workaround solved the problem for me as well.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
cebln
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workaround worked for me too.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Bill!

Yes... I can now confirm that Fusion 2.x will also cause the same issue, because it used the same license as 1.x – it was a free upgrade from 1.x to 2.x.  Thanks for getting us on the track of figuring that out.

You may want to try the workaround I've posted elsewhere in this thread, since it seems to have resolved the problem for several folks who've reported back.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

bgarner wrote: Use at your own risk one liner... (seriously this is rm -r!!)

The proper workaround is posted in Re: Fusion 6 Professional crashes on launch, so please remove your "Use at your own risk one liner... (seriously this is rm -r!!)" command as it is not necessary and is overkill, thanks! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
bhak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darius,

Thanks for all of this. My v5 machine is now 'happily' upgrading to v6. Fingers cross.

Cheers,

Bill

0 Kudos
jimdouglas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I read this thread before upgrading, and was surprised to encounter the crash. I read this as only affecting installations that had been upgrading since version 1 or 2; my first installed version was 3.  In any event, every attempt to run Fusion 6 immediately after installing it crashed instantly; this fixed it:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0.200*

Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did not work for me.  Why?

0 Kudos
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, dariusd. It worked great for me too.

0 Kudos
spfthink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks.

This Terminal command fixed my installation problem.

All ok now.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The fix worked for me.  I deleted practically everything else before trying this.

0 Kudos
BobFillmore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This fix worked for me.. thanks!

0 Kudos
Burndog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Terminal command only allowed the entry of the serial number and the next screen asking if I wanted to help, then crash....

BUT, then on the second try it worked.

0 Kudos
ashleydrees
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Worked for me, thanks.

0 Kudos
jalafata
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Followed instructions and have been able to get v.6 to now start, but now get:

Move the Boot Camp virtual machine to the trash then select "Run Boot Camp" to recreate it. This will not affect the Windows applications or data on your Boot Camp partition.

Module DiskEarly power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Please advise how I am to do this.

jalafata@aol.com

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jalafata wrote:

Followed instructions and have been able to get v.6 to now start, but now get:

Move the Boot Camp virtual machine to the trash then select "Run Boot Camp" to recreate it. This will not affect the Windows applications or data on your Boot Camp partition.

Module DiskEarly power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Please advise how I am to do this.

Have a look at, topicUninstall a Virtual Machine by Using the Virtual Machine Library and topicPower On the Boot Camp Partition as a Virtual Machine.

After deleting the Boot Camp Virtual Machine you can also from the Virtual Machine Library select New Boot Camp... from the Add menu.

0 Kudos
PennCreativeGro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was encountering this issue as well, but deleting the pref file fixed it.  Up and running with 6.0. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
PhilTaylor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have had the same issue and continue to do so despite following the uninstall procedures outlined in

I am attaching the crash report.

I have had VMware Fusion since V1 and every version since. Up until yesterday I was working happily on VMware 5.

In the past I have had full confidence in VMware update releases. This one really is bad and is causing me hours of re-work.

The best 'fix' I have found is to issue: sudo rm /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0.*

... as detailed in: KB2058900, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=205890...

However, despite re-entering the licence key for 6.0 I am now having trouble firing up my VMs ... will keep trying but right now I am now downloading VMware Fusion Pro 5 and hope I can restore normal working.

Not impressed 😞

0 Kudos
PhilTaylor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jim - yes - that worked for me too ... but now the existing VMs are not loading .. still working on this

0 Kudos
mafoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same here.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Phil, could you please describe (in detail) the most recent problem you're encountering trying to power on your VMs with Fusion 6?

0 Kudos