VMware Communities
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion 6 Professional crashes on launch

I just upgraded to Fusion 6 Professional which was released today.  It crashes on launch.  I've attached a crash report.  I reverted to Fusion 5.0.3 in order to collect the support information which is also attached.

Any ideas?

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, here's the summary:

This issue may affect users who have previously used Fusion 1.x or Fusion 2.x and now attempt to use Fusion 6.x or Fusion 6.x Professional, never having trashed preferences since the earlier version, and always having migrated your settings if you've ever moved to a new Mac.

The symptoms are a crash of VMware Fusion 6.x immediately upon launch, with the crash report containing precisely the following text:

cui::license::GetLicenseInfoForProduct(cui::license::Product, cui::license::Info&) + 577

The cause is that Fusion 6.x errantly attempts to use the activated Fusion 1.x/2.x license, leading to an unexpected condition that we fail to handle correctly and resulting in a crash.

To remedy the problem, refer to the instructions in VMware KB: VMware Fusion 6 fails to start.

To work around the issue, launch Terminal, and type (or copy/paste) the following command:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0.200*

Then try launching Fusion again.  There should not be any need to uninstall/reinstall or to delete any other preferences files.

Please let me know if you continue to encounter this issue after performing this workaround!

Thanks for your patience, and humble apologies for the trouble.  This definitely isn't how we should be rewarding our most loyal customers...

--

Darius

Message was edited by: Darius Davis -- Added link to the KB article which provides better instruction than my quick writeup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
71 Replies
styszler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here. Macbook air running mountain lion. Upgraded from 5.0.3 to 6 and crash on startup.

0 Kudos
tkatz77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem, 6 Pro would crash on start on a 2010 Mac Pro.

I did the Manual Uninstallation steps, and then reinstalled it and now it appears to be working fine

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

(You should probably back up any files you remove.  You will have to re-open any VM's you created and your prefs will be lost.)

0 Kudos
styszler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, but didn't work for me. Still crashes.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you reboot in between manually uninstalling/reinstalling?

0 Kudos
tkatz77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not.  I just deleted the app, support files and preferences (note some files to remove are in both /Library and ~/Library).

After that I launched out of the disk image and got the registration screen.

0 Kudos
styszler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repeated procedure with reboot and same result. Crash after the registration screen pops up.

Glad I didn't install this on my work mac.

0 Kudos
tkatz77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My crash might have been due to a different reason then.  When you launch it do you see the VM Library window briefly before the crash?  It would show for about 1-2s and then crash.  I suspect my issue might have had something to do with the registration screen.

0 Kudos
jameslmoser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem....

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ouch.  Thanks for posting the crash report.  We're investigating...  We'll try to resolve this ASAP!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you validate the downloaded .dmg against its published MD5/SHA1 checksum?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tkatz77 and styszler,

We're working on figuring this out...

Could you both kindly launch Applications > Utilities > Console and find the relevant VMware Fusion diagnostic report, and attach it to a reply here in this thread?  (Attach the file by selecting "Use advanced editor" in the top-right corner and then choosing the Browse... button below; Please don't copy-and-paste!)

The crash report will tell us conclusively if it's the same problem, and will give us clues where to look if it's a different problem.

Thanks in advance,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WoodyZ wrote:

Did you validate the downloaded .dmg against its published MD5/SHA1 checksum?

Yes, the checksums match.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
tkatz77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sure thing! I've attached an archive of the reports from my launch attempts that all crashed.

0 Kudos
jameslmoser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Crash report.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks, jameslmoser and tkatz77.  Both of you are definitely encountering the same issue as originally posted by palter... stay tuned and we'll hopefully update this thread soon with a workaround/fix.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
styszler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached as requested

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks!  Yours is the exact same issue too, styszler.

For easy reference and searching, this particular crash will always have the following exact text in the crash report:

cui::license::GetLicenseInfoForProduct(cui::license::Product, cui::license::Info&) + 577

We'll continue to investigate and get back to you all ASAP.  Thanks everyone for your help and patience!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Preclaro_Tipo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure i've attached the correct files. Seems like you have a lead on the problem already. I've tried multiple suggestions to fix the problem from another popular mac website including creating new user account, removing preference files globally, while repairing permissions and restarting repeatedly through the process. Nothing comes close to getting it to not crash upon starting. Thank you.

0 Kudos
nategold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem as all of you.  Per the instructions on page 1, I deleted everything.  First I backed it up to a folder, but for some of the /Library stuff a drag to the backup folder creates a copy and leaves the original.  Be sure to delete all the original stuff, empty the trash, and then reboot.  Then reinstall 6.0.  You lose prefs and prefs in the virtual machine again, but at least I got it working.

0 Kudos