VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6, Maverick, Win XP svchost.exe always at 100% for more than 24 hours

Hello All,

I've upgraded  3 different  Windows XP virtual machines to fusion 6 (6.01 and 6.02) on 3 different machines. The Windows XP virtual machines are basically empty: vanilla XP, nothing installed on them not even an  anti virus. I've tried this on 2 iMac  (4g mem) with Maverick and  on one Mac Book Pro with Maverick. In all 3 cases, the CPU usage is at 100 % ...and even if I let the system on for more than 24hrs there is always a svchost.exe process running at 100 % CPU usage. My other Windows 7 virtual machines are working perfectly.

Anyone has the same problem on Windows XP virtual machines on Fusion 6 , 6.01, 6,02 ? Any suggestions ?

Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fornidaniele
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same problem!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Unfortunately svchost.exe is used for many different purposes by Windows and taskmanager on windows XP does not give you enough details to properly troubleshoot what is actually causing the high CPU usage.

It's better to use process explorer, which is also from Microsoft nowadays, as it gives you a bit more detail.

Start it, check out the svchost process that is causing high CPU, then look at the Command line column.

In there you will see something like:

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService

The part after svchost.exe (in this example "-k LocalService") is the interesting bit.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
fornidaniele
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Wil,

I've tried to use "process explorer", and the result is:

"-k netsvcs"

I've attached you also a screenshot.

Daniele

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Turn off Automatic Windows Updates and then see how things perform.   You can then turn it back on and see if it doesn't chew up CPU cycles.   Come April 2014 there are no more Windows XP Updates anyway! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
fornidaniele
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, now it seems to work!

Daniele

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, useful screenshot. The wuaclt child process under the svchost is indeed the windows update part.

Glad to hear you found the cause.

Coincidentally I had a windows XP VM last week showing the same problem It did eventually update, but took a very very long time.

If you use that VM to connect to the internet then I would certainly still try to keep it up to date until april 2014.

After april 2014 my suggestion is to uninstall the network adapter from the VM and use a supported windows VM for any internet related things if you have a need for windows.

You could still use host file sharing if you want to continue using the VM after that time and have a need to get files in/out, but use with care. Remember that without internet it also doesn't have an up-to-date anti virus.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos