VMware Communities
jtarnoff
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6: Issue with default windows applications

Greetings,

I'm running Windows 8 as a guest VM. Recently, I noticed that every time I tried clicking on a URL in Outlook I would need to chose the application (Firefox). Also, despite me resetting the defaults applications and default action for URLs, each time the machine reboots the settings are lost. I just assumed this was an issue with something in the Windows OS, but had no luck repairing it. I then did a clean install of Windows 8.1, and it exhibits the exact same behavior with the default applications not "sticking" through reboot.

Thinking back, it seemed that these issues started after update to 6 or 6.0.2 but I never attributed it to the upgrade until now.

I then imported these machines into the latest version of Parallels, and the behavior returned to normal, and Firefox's defaults remained after rebooting.

This seems to be a bug in v6, but didn't find anything in the forums. Has any experienced this or have any suggestions on how to resolve it? I'd really like to get back to VMWare vs Parallels.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BankZ
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.  Any ideas or solutions?

0 Kudos
jtarnoff
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I was able to fix the issue by removing VMWare tools, importing the machine into Parallels, and then reimporting back into Fusion. What a pain - but it seemed to fix the issue. But, after several weeks, the problem started up again. Unless they come up with a fix for this soon, may just need to move to Parallels. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos