VMware Communities
InshoreTech
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6 Clock Skew after Sleep on latest MacBook Air

I have Macbook Air 13-inch, Mid 2013 and I am running Fusion Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658). The VM is running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit. The Mac OSX version is 10.9.1 (Mavericks).  VMware Tools are install and up to date.

When I start the VM the clock is correct. I usually leave the laptop running and when I step away and it goes to sleep, the clock on the VM is behind what appears to be the time it has been asleep.

I had this same set-up on MacBook Pro 17-in (I think this one was mid/late 2011) and I did not have this problem. That one too was left on and would sleep but the clock would sync back up when it came out of sleep.

I know the MacBook Air has the latest Intel processor (i7 in my case), so I didn't know if that might have something to do with how the clock works.

Anyone else seen this issue and if so, were you able to change a setting to get the clock to sync when you come out of sleep?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
smelendro
Contributor
Contributor

Hello InShoreTech I'm running the same issue with a similar setup (except MacBook Pro) and found this KB

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102171...

Virtual Machine > Settings > Advanced Settings> Synchronize Time. Appears to do the trick.

0 Kudos
shivakv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello InshoreTech,

Yes, you can try the steps provided by smelendro, also I'd suggest to update your Mac OS X version to 10.9.5, Fusion version to 6.0.6 and then update the VMware Tools inside the  Windows 7 VM and check.

Regards,

Shivakv

0 Kudos
RadekSmogura
Contributor
Contributor

I've run into same issue. I'm developer, compile files so make pretty fast points about clock skew.

I figured out that it's not problem of VMWare (seen similar with other VMs), the issue is probably due to OS X. My clock skew was exactly same a clock skew of OSX to NTP. This can mean

1. VMWare sync hardware clocks and OS X ntp doesn't do this

2. you Windows machine sync time to NTP, while OS X doesn't

I would suggest to turn off NTP sync in guest operating system and disable and enable vmware time sync, to see what will happen.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

I have a problem that may be related. In my case, the Mac clock seems to be drifting. See this thread:

Re: Clock Drift (Slowdown) on Host Mac When Running VMware Fusion Guest Full Time

I will investigate the VMware Tools clock synchronization setting, but I believe that both virtual machines are configured to sync with the Mac clock.

0 Kudos