VMware Communities
joemath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 6.0.5 breaks Bridged Networking in Windows VMs

I "upgraded" from Fusion 6.0.4 to 6.0.5, and now bridged networking no longer works in Windows VMs.

The VM gets an IP address:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : attlocal.net

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::315d:97cf:b800:a2cb%10

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.76

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

but pings to the router (192.168.1.254) time out.

The VM is Windows 7 with VMware Tools 9.6.2.  I tried reinstalling Tools, but nothing changed.

I tried switching from bridged (autodetect) to bridged (wifi).  Nothing changed.

I tried "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew".  Nothing changed.

I have multiple Windows 7 VMs with bridged networking.  They all fail in the exact same manner.

NAT networking works fine in the Windows VMs.

Bridged (autodetect) networking works fine in my OSX VM (ping router, surf web, etc).

The host networking also works fine (ping router, surf web, etc).

The host is a MBP 15" with 16GB RAM and OSX 10.9.5.

Everything worked fine before upgrading to 6.0.5, so the problem is directly related to 6.0.5 and Windows VMs.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
donnysp
Contributor
Contributor

I've just upgraded to 6.0.5 also and I've seen a couple of crashes and now networking is no longer working.

I'm running on an OS X Yosemite host and have CentOS and Debian guests.

A ps listing shows that there aren't any vmnet processes running. I found this page: VMware KB: Modifying the DHCP settings of vmnet1 and vmnet8 in Fusion that says how to "access the network editor" but there it doesn't appear to be there. (All you get is General, Keyboard & Mouse, and Default Applications tabs.)

Looks like I'm going to have to downgrade to 6.0.4 if I can. Unable to do any work at the moment!

0 Kudos
donnysp
Contributor
Contributor

Great. I downgraded to 6.0.4 and networking is still horked. I'm dead in the water. Thanks VMware Smiley Sad

Even with the VMs shut down the networking settings cannot be changed. They are all greyed out and are set to "Share with my Mac".

0 Kudos