VMware Communities
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 6.0.2 and OSx Mavericks 10.9.1 - Sleep Wake failure unless I shutdown or suspend my Win7Pro VM before closing lid

I recently bought a new macbook pro, tht is up to date with Mavericks 10.9.1

I bout Fusion 6 and migrated my VM from my old macbook that was running Fusion 4.

All seemed to go well.

The VM performs awesomely.

The problem is when I put the Macbook to sleep... I get the 'infamous' Sleep Wake Failure when I wake it up, and the macbook is restarted.

I say infamous, as there are many users of mavericks experiencing this for all sorts of causes.

In my case I singled the cause down to my VMware Fusion 6, running a Win7 Pro machine. If this is still running when I sleep the Macbook then I get the Sleep Wake Failure every time I wake the MacBook. If I shutdown or suspend the VM first, then this does not happen.

Please can this be looked at...

I used to work in this way with my old macbook (OSx Lion, Fusion 4) and never had issues sleeping the macbook and resuming.

Thanks

Simon

188 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

dchall,

Thanks! You and anybody on this thread can email me crash reports at hpreg@YouKnowTheCompany.com . If these are kernel crash reports, then you don't need to copy them each time: the system keeps them all in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and you can collect all of them in one go by clicking on this menu entry in Fusion: Help > Collect Support Information.

0 Kudos
dchall
Contributor
Contributor

Do you really mean me to send it to preg@YouKnowTheCompany.com?  Or should youknowthecompany.com be vmware?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, replace YouKnowTheCompany with vmware. I don't want robots to scrap my email address from the forum and spam me. Robots will not do the substitution.

0 Kudos
nilsbunger2
Contributor
Contributor

Apple also just released OS X 10.9.4, which contains this line:

"Improves the reliability of waking from sleep"

About the OS X Mavericks v10.9.4 Update

Worth trying out? 

It looks like my issue was resolved with the "share power state with the VM" flag, but if that didn't help you, maybe this will?

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK Apple... dutifully downloading this new update to see if it makes a shred of difference... hoping as it lists the issue it actually might.

The Pass Power to VM improved my situation about 95%... but I still have had a case of Sleep wake failure with that on just a couple of weeks ago... so I don't regard that as 'the fix'.

I'll look and see if I can collect those crash reports for HPreg

0 Kudos
csatoi
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately 10.9.4 doesn't help. There is still this ugly error.

0 Kudos
skipsizemore
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I've had mine set to pass power settings for a long time, and it has not fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Paperinick
Contributor
Contributor

Does the "Collect Support Information" include KP logs?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes

0 Kudos
webmalone
Contributor
Contributor

Updated to 10.9.4 yesterday and just had a sleep/wake failure.  Beyond frustrated, but thankfully numb.

0 Kudos
Paperinick
Contributor
Contributor

email sent.

0 Kudos
Paperinick
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.4 is out. Can someone who can repro this bug more consistently than I am able (very random) verify if the fix is there? Release notes claim that only the OpenSSL security bug got fixed.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

and experimental 10.10 support was added.  The devs responded in another thread that those were the only two fixes.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To confirm what dlhotka said, Fusion 6.0.4 contains the OpenSSL bugfix and fixes to enable running on Yosemite (even if it's not something we officially support).  It does not contain any change intended to address the sleep wake failures.

0 Kudos
lailoken
Contributor
Contributor

I've updated to 10.9.4 and I've had more success with leaving my VM running with my lid closed.

But then I've disabled AppNap and changed my hibernate/sleep modes as well. (Although these changes I have done a while ago already, and they did not fix the problem pre-10.9.4)

So for now I'm happy...

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

How to reset NVRAM / PRAM on MAC:

About NVRAM and PRAM

Note:  I haven't gotten Sleep Wake failures for a while, but I do get GPU panics daily (even with no VMs or Fusion running).  So I just tried the fix above in hopes that helps.

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just got a Sleep Wake Failure with my 10.9.4 Mavericks.... I've been leaving one of windows VMs running deliberately to see if I could repeat what other have already found... the latest OS update does not help. I've not yet applied the latest Fusion update, but there is nothing in there to fix this anyway.

I'll collect the logs and send off to hpreg as before.

I have also previously changed my sleep and hibernate time settings: This is what I have set:

Battery Power:

lidwake              1

autopoweroff         1

autopoweroffdelay    259200

standbydelay         86400

standby              1

ttyskeepawake        1

hibernatemode        3

darkwakes            0

gpuswitch            2

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

displaysleep         5

sleep                1

acwake               0

halfdim              1

lessbright           1

disksleep            0

AC Power:

lidwake              1

autopoweroff         1

standbydelay         86400

standby              1

ttyskeepawake        1

hibernatemode        3

darkwakes            0

gpuswitch            2

womp                 1

displaysleep         10

networkoversleep     0

sleep                0

acwake               0

halfdim              1

disksleep            0

I really do not want to have to hibernate my VMs to close the lid... it slowly kills my SSD and wastes time...

Groan....

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And another sleep wake failure today.

So my verdict on 10.9.4 is: THEY MADE IT WORSE.

I'll send the data to Hpreg again... not heard anything back so I hope he's getting it.

Simon

0 Kudos
CanadianEh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Simon,

I am most likely not reading your post correctly, but if I am, I really don't think that it is Apple's job to fix VMWare's sleep/wake issues when running on OS X?

I do not have ANY problems with the sleep/wake function when I am not running Fusion.  It is only when I am running Fusion, will my system reboot.  I do not see that as a fault of Apple, but a responsibility of the software causing the issue (VMWare).

The responses from the VMWare reps that they cannot reproduce the problem is disappointing as there seems to be so many that are impacted by this problem.  So my question is; how many people do you have working on this issue?  One tech...

When VMWare crashes my system, it is severe enough that the system log for that entire day are wiped out.  The last time that I had this issue 2014-06-29, I checked my console and the logs for the 28th up until the restart on the 29th are gone.

I do have system diagnostic reports that are suspicious:

- vmware-vmx_2014-06-27-115933_Robins-MacBook-Pro.wakeups_resource.spin

- vmware-vmx_2014-06-30-094548_Robins-MacBook-Pro.wakeups_resource.spin

Note the gap in day/time.

Robin

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Robin,

I agree with you partially.... There is some responsibility for VMWare here to try to resolve this, as the current OSX is indeed Mavericks; so that is their framework, and that is what they have to work with; and their product is creating a sleep wake failure no doubt.

BUT you have to also consider that Apple introduced the possibility of the Sleep Wake Failure with the release of Mavericks. I have used Fusion for many years, and it was not until I started using Mavericks (like many others) that this issue appeared. Search the Apple forums and you will experience the total frustration that Apple users are having with this. They say that Mavericks is a total fail until this is fixed.... and those posts have nothing to do with VmWare.

I've now changed my pmset settings to prevent my machine hibernating... it will only sleep. I have confirmed I get no sleep image being created. I'm testing the theory that it is more wake from hibernate than wake from sleep that may be when I get the errors.

Simon

Battery Power:

lidwake              1

autopoweroff         0

standbydelay         259200

standby              1

ttyskeepawake        1

hibernatemode        0

darkwakes            0

gpuswitch            2