VMware Communities
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 6.0.2 and OSx Mavericks 10.9.1 - Sleep Wake failure unless I shutdown or suspend my Win7Pro VM before closing lid

I recently bought a new macbook pro, tht is up to date with Mavericks 10.9.1

I bout Fusion 6 and migrated my VM from my old macbook that was running Fusion 4.

All seemed to go well.

The VM performs awesomely.

The problem is when I put the Macbook to sleep... I get the 'infamous' Sleep Wake Failure when I wake it up, and the macbook is restarted.

I say infamous, as there are many users of mavericks experiencing this for all sorts of causes.

In my case I singled the cause down to my VMware Fusion 6, running a Win7 Pro machine. If this is still running when I sleep the Macbook then I get the Sleep Wake Failure every time I wake the MacBook. If I shutdown or suspend the VM first, then this does not happen.

Please can this be looked at...

I used to work in this way with my old macbook (OSx Lion, Fusion 4) and never had issues sleeping the macbook and resuming.

Thanks

Simon

188 Replies
dchall
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't solve it for me either and I only have fusion running so for me it's an issue with Fusion running on Mavericks.

mevans87
Contributor
Contributor

I also am having the same issue.

If I leave my VM running, close the macbook's lid (macbook goes to sleep), open back lid after some time, macbook will have restarted to osx login screen with error message about VMWare crashing the system.

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And have you tried the Pass Power Status to VM option for the VMs you are running yet? That solved my problem, and this fix was posted by ofairfoul above

0 Kudos
lailoken
Contributor
Contributor

Just got this error last night... I actually left my VMWare Fusion running when I closed my lid. I had no devices at all connected to my Mac either.

Using a Retina Macbook Pro running Mavericks. All software up-to-date.

0 Kudos
bigrock0
Contributor
Contributor

it seemed that pass power to VM worked for some time, but the restart is happened again twice in two days.  i have re-installed VM tools to see if that will help.

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have just had the dreaded 'Sleep Wake Failure' again for the first time since I started trialling the Pass Power To VM suggestion.

So the option helps; but is not a fix... unless something else caused the SWF this time... who knows.

Still, to protect my VM, a hibernate is the best option... not for my SSD though.

I dutifully passed the error back to Apple... again. Maybe Apple can do something also to make the OSx more tolerant of the condition leading to the failure?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are investigating this issue. So far it happens to be an Apple issue (in Mavericks, but not in Lion) that is triggered by various apps, including VMware Fusion. Because it happens only with Fusion 6.x and not Fusion 5.x, my guess goes to how Fusion uses the host OpenGL drivers.

Guys, do you see the issue happen in VMs that do not use any 3D graphics acceleration (say, a dumb DOS VM for example)? Conversely, do you see it happen with a VM that uses 3D acceleration (such as the pong VM, see http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/09/vmware-nested-easter-egg.html for details)?

0 Kudos
lailoken
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for looking at this issue... interoperability problems like these can be tough to pinpoint and fix.

I've totally disabled app nap and disabled hibernation... to no avail. Tried it all.

Happened again this morning... argh.

I will disable the 3D and test with that for a while.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi HPReg,

Thanks for the awesome feedback and detail on the bug.  Personally, I have not been able to reproduce the "sleep wake" issue since setting the "Pass power status to VM from Settings > Advanced".  Regardless, I turned that setting off today and configured a VM to boot to pong (0 byte floppy).

I then tried all reasonable permutations of the graphics settings and could not reproduce the issue on my Mac Book Pro 10,1 (Retina).  I tried sleeping the laptop by closing the lid and by using the sleep option from the Apple menu.  The VM was power cycled between all config changes.

Options in scope:
Pong-VM-Graphics-Settings.png

Perhaps the others that are still experiencing this may have better luck getting it to happen again.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you guys for experimenting and helping us fix this.

I have been trying to reproduce the issue on my MacBookPro11,3 (15'' Retina, Late 2013) with Fusion 6.0.3 on OS X 10.9.3 (the latest as of this writing), so far without success. Smiley Sad

Has any of you been able to reproduce this issue on OS X 10.9.3, or only on OS X 10.9.[012]?

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Oh, and one more questions: what do you run inside your VMs? Do you have to run a specific app inside the VM for the problem to occur, or does the problem occur even when the VM is idle?

0 Kudos
dchall
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

For me running a 13" retina macbook pro I have 3D graphics on and also transfer power to VM an neither makes a difference.  I still get the issue but not ever night.  I have Windows 7 running and nearly always have Outlook (2013) open, excel and word on occasion.

Doug

0 Kudos
Zaudio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've upgraded my Mavericks always... Hoping for a fix each time from Apple!

So now on 10.9.3 on my 15 inch retina mbpro from Dec 2013.

I run currently Win7 pro and ultimate VMs... Normally run Visual Studio, SSMS, office apps, chrome...

I have had one Wake failure only after turning on the transfer power to VM option... Just last week. Used to get them almost all the time unless I suspended my VM before sleeping. Still using graphics acceleration option...

Simon

0 Kudos
Engineer3003
Contributor
Contributor

Also have the sleep wake failure.  OSX 10.9.3 and vmware fusion 6.0.3 (1747349).  No matter what weird thing vmware fusion is doing, it should never be able to crash the OS.  I hope vmware has enough leverage at Apple to get them to fix the underlying problem.

0 Kudos
nilsbunger2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also experiencing this. 13" Retina MBP Late 2013 w/ 16GB RAM. I'm on OS X 10.9.3, Fusion 6.0.3.  I'm using Filevault.

The VM is an Ubuntu Linux VM. It happens regardless of whether the VM is idle or busy as far as I can tell.

For the "pass power state to the VM" flag, is it necessary to have VMware tools running in the VM? I wonder if some of the folks who say it didn't help are missing VMware tools?

0 Kudos
CanadianEh
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issue. 

There is no pattern to the failure; in that sometimes the system will wake just fine when I open the lid but then the problem just happened again.  I have tried all of the suggestions mentioned in the posts to no avail.

To you VMWare guys, this is getting extremely frustrating; I was thinking about buying more licenses for my other systems and recommending it to my family, however based on this major flaw, I will definitely not!

Since VMWare is NOT going to resolve the problem, the only work around seems to be; shut down VMWare before closing the lid/putting the system to sleep.  Otherwise VMWare will cause you computer to improperly shutdown and lose everything that was open / in progress at the time you put the system to sleep.

:smileyangry::smileyangry::smileyangry::smileyangry:

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> No matter what weird thing vmware fusion is doing, it should never be able to crash the OS.

We agree 100%. It is ultimately an Apple bug. But what we can do at VMware is understand which code path triggers it, and avoid that code path in Fusion.

> I hope vmware has enough leverage at Apple to get them to fix the underlying problem.

There is sometimes privileged communication between Apple and VMware, but that is extremely rare. Most of our interactions happen via the Apple radar bug report system, and WWDC.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> For the "pass power state to the VM" flag, is it necessary to have VMware tools running in the VM?

It should not be necessary. All "pass power state to the VM" does is add a virtual battery device to the virtual machine, and that device gets its values (% full, plugged in power outlet) from the physical battery device on the host.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> To you VMWare guys, this is getting extremely frustrating;

It is frustrating on our side too: we are trying to reproduce the problem, but we are so far unable to. The issue affect few people, but it affects them very severely.

> I was thinking about buying more licenses for my other systems and recommending it to my family, however based on this major flaw, I will definitely not!

Well, it might work for them. It works for me and the whole development and quality assurance team at VMware. But I understand that you cannot take the chance at this point.

> Since VMWare is NOT going to resolve the problem,

Be assured we want to solve the problem. But in order to solve it, we need to reproduce it first, so we can understand it and avoid it. Sadly, so far we have been unable to reproduce it.

0 Kudos
dchall
Contributor
Contributor

Hi HPReg,

I will happily provide you with my crash reports I copied when I'v had the issue happen if you provide me with a direct method to send them to you?  I've not taken a copy of the crash reports every time but I will in future and also send you the ones I have captured.

Doug

0 Kudos