VMware Communities
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5.x.x - VM lose gateway randomly

Hello ,

I install VMware fusion 5.x.x on Mac OS X 10.8.2 and after some random time all VM lose gateway.

The only option I can make this to fix it is just to stop them and quit Fusion after power on everything is fine. If I don't quit fusion and just stop/start VM gateway is still not reachable.

The strange is that VM is working between them but when they try to use gate ( for internet ) it fails.

My router is Cisco 1841 and DHCP is running on it.

I didn’t have that issue when I was on Mac OS X 10.7.x but Fusion version was 4.x. Now i will remove Fusion 5 and install Fusion 4.

There is nothing in the logs at all and I cannot find what is causing this problem.

Any other ideas ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

have you ever switched the network modes between "NAT"(share with my Mac option) and "Bridged"(Auto detect, Ethernet or Wi-Fi) on Fusion VM Settings>>Network Adapater panel?

Changing the network mode will release then refresh VM's IP address if your VM is powered on.

that maybe resolve your issue, and if not, could you please post the log from Help>>Collect Support information?

thx.

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

I will try next time VM lose gateway. As we know this is workaround it is not a solution.

I leave now tail -f system.log | grep -i fusion to watch when i notice gateway is missing i will check logs.

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

I found a workaround.

I restart vmnet-bridge. I kill this process then stat it

sudo "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-bridge" &

But this is not a solution i still get the issue lose network after some random time for now i do not know why is this happening.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You didn't mention which networking mode your VM is actually using.  Also, is the VM using DHCP or a statically assigned address?

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

I'm using bridged mode maybe for that reason when kill and start agan vmnet-bridge just start working.

VM is using static address for which i have port forwarded for that is so important other wise I will just use NAT or hosted network type.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You sure that you don't have a duplicate IP problem?  Perhaps someone else has a copy of your VM and has launched it?  (I almost exclusively use bridged myself...)

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

1. Only i use my computer.

2. This problem just happened randomly there is nothing specific I do to initiate it.

3. There is no duplication because when that happed all my other VM are suffering from same problem. If there is IP conflict I will notice it also problem will persist when i start VM not just when decide.

I didnt have that problem when i was with 10.7.x now I'm with 10.8.2 and maybe that is the problem.

0 Kudos
vhristev
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

Problem still exist and I tried with different Vmware versions 4 and 5. My workaround is to restart vmnet-bridge with simple bash script.

#!/bin/bash
echo "Killing all vmnet-bridges"
sudo killall vmnet-bridge
sleep 2
echo " Starting bridge"
sudo "/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-bridge" &
echo "Done"

0 Kudos